Liability insurance - what would that cover?

1. Does liability insurance cover issues related to removing improperly installed open-cell foam in an attic on the underside of a roof (i.e. all those horror stories about roof rot, or open-cell continually off-gassing or smelling weeks after it was installed, etc..)? Or is that a different type of insurance?

2. Should I specifically ask for the details in the Liability insurance to find out specifically what it covers, is that something contractors should be willing to share?

Asked By George G | Sep 12 14

Help with basement design

Hello All,

I am working on refinishing a play room in the basement that was recently damaged from water coming through the slab because my gutter was not hooked into the corrugated pipe that takes water away. So I now I want to refinish a playroom for my 1 year old son in the basement, making sure the health and safety is the priority.

Asked By leonid grossman | Sep 21 14

How do I fix the high air exchange in my straw-bale home?

Two years ago, I purchsed a straw bale home in Minnesota. When I closed the house was in poor shape and the exterior had to be rebuilt. Our first winter in the house was cool and drafty and we were spending a fair amount on heat. We did as much research as we could, but we have struggled to figure out how to fix and maintain our home.

Asked By Eddy Wilbers | Sep 19 14

Tyroc subfloor

Hi would like opinion on Tyroc subfloor for use in basement and if it is better than some of the others subfloors on the market Thanks

Asked By Brad D | Sep 21 14

Reading “new to old”

Choice Martin in Q&A but then in blogs posts are not able to be new to old.

Easy fix to be done some day.

Thanks neighbor
Aj

Asked By aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Sep 20 14

The differences between mass and insulation

The "I installed more attic insulation and now my AC runs more" thread got me thinking about the mass effect a bit.

Asked By Nathaniel G | Sep 15 14

Fresh air intake filters

I have the RecoupAerator ERV that I am in the process of getting installed. I have some sheet metal/duct people coming next week to give me estimates on installing the fresh air intake duct that will terminate thru an exterior soffit.

The RecoupAerator comes with MERV 12 filtration material inside, but I am wondering how to filter the air at the entry point into the fresh air intake duct. A simple insect screen there might still let small bugs and such into the the duct work where they will decompose.

Asked By Venkat Y | Sep 20 14

Sealing gap between garage floor & drywall?

Hi:

I am trying to figure out whether & how to air seal the gap between my garage floor and drywall in my 12-year old three-story townhouse in zone 2a. The gap is generally 1/2" wide, however in many places it's less. The door shown in the photos leads to the first-floor of the house.

I think caulk (any particular kind?) is the answer, but wanted to check first.

Also curious - without performing a blower door test, how "bad" do you think this gap is from an air-sealing perspective?

Rob

Asked By Robert Hallenbeck | Sep 20 14

Best time to stop construction for winter..?

It looks like our builder has overbooked himself and will very likely not be able to put the house under the roof+finish exterior before winter. We understand that one could continue to work in winter, through all stages of construction if additional measures like heating tents are used when applying exterior EIFS stucco. So the problem here has to do with management of resources and time rather than the physical limitations. Nevertheless, we face these choices:
1) don't start until next spring (bank funding would be lost and we'd have to re-apply)

Asked By Lucyna de Barbaro | Sep 20 14

The joys of insulating...

What is the best way to insulate around the corners of rigid round duct using foil-faced blanket type duct insulation?

Make a "sock" and coax it around the corners and don't worry about bunching?

Snip out pieces and try to form something like an elbow while generally making a mess and wasting time?

Something else?

Asked By Lucas Durand - 7A | Sep 19 14