Q&A: A Forum for Green Building Experts and Beginners

[Click map to enlarge]

Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions.

The usual rules of courtesy apply:
1. Be nice.
2. If you can't be nice, be polite.
3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief.

To attach a photo or illustration:
Under the box labeled "More explanation," look for the words "File attachments."
Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo.

Thanks for joining the conversation!

3 Answers

Perforated metal used in Roxul rock board install?

Hello,
I've read through this article and tried to contact /find contacts for the owners, but was unlucky. The link to their blog http://agreenhearth.com/ no longer works..

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/guest-blogs/installing-ro...

Asked By Lucyna de Barbaro | Apr 24 15
3 Answers

Sheathing moisture in a temperate climate

I don't want to sidetrack the discussion in the Blog on sheathing moisture, so I'll ask a related question here:
In a temperate but wet climate like the PNW, are seasonal elevated moisture levels more serious as the outside temperatures never get cold enough to inhibit rot or mold?

Asked By Malcolm Taylor | Apr 24 15
7 Answers

Water heater standby losses

Does anyone have a reference for the standby losses (in BTU/hr) for a "typical" gas-fired 40 gallon water heater?

Thanks.

Asked By Pete Engle | Apr 28 10
5 Answers

Sealing gap between garage floor & drywall?

Hi:

I am trying to figure out whether & how to air seal the gap between my garage floor and drywall in my 12-year old three-story townhouse in zone 2a. The gap is generally 1/2" wide, however in many places it's less. The door shown in the photos leads to the first-floor of the house.

I think caulk (any particular kind?) is the answer, but wanted to check first.

Also curious - without performing a blower door test, how "bad" do you think this gap is from an air-sealing perspective?

Thanks,
Rob

Asked By Robert Hallenbeck | Sep 20 14
4 Answers

Building a home - to code?

Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I am in the process of designing a small (~ 700 sq. ft.), off-grid house. My intention is to do as much of the design and construction as possible with my own head and hands.

I've been a car mechanic for 10 years, and so have a good understanding of the basic principles of electricity (the house will use 12V wherever possible), HVAC, plumbing, etc. However, I don't have much in the way of hands-on experience with construction.

Two questions (among many) occur:

Asked By Tomas Gray | Apr 23 15
4 Answers

Rim joist at ceiling rafters

Here is a wall section image from several houses I built 10 years ago.
2X6 studson 2' centers. The rafter sits on the joist and rim with 2X6 headers in the wall below.
Considering doubling rim joist over 3' openings instead.
Looking for input.

Asked By Donald Ross | Apr 22 15
0 Answers

Free webinar today - Prefab PassiveHouse construction

I'm not affiliated with the following, but thought it might be of interest to many readers here.

Passive Buildings Canada is offering a free webinar this afternoon discussing prefabricated Passive house construction.
Includes:
Adam Cohen
Lydia Hunter
Hans Eich

Follow the link here for registration - Fri, Apr 24, 2015 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM EDT

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4316742390004913154?utm_source...

Asked By Mark Fredericks | Apr 24 15
2 Answers

Question on workshop floor insulation

I am planning on building a 20x30’ woodworking workshop with “pretty good” energy performance. The building will have a slab-on-grade foundation because of ledge very near the surface. Because I don’t want to stand on a concrete floor for extended periods of time, I’m planning on using PT 2x4 sleepers over the concrete (with the 3 ½” dimension vertical) and a plywood floor and possibly a wood floor over the plywood in the future (funds permitting!)

Asked By Stuart Blanchard | Apr 22 15
1 Answer

Roof SIPs and 2012 IRC R806

WIth an 8" polyurethane SIP (OSB skins), would the 2012 IRC R806 code apply for roof venting or is that only applicable for ceiling with roof rafters?

Asked By Peter L | Apr 23 15
2 Answers

About insulation

I am building a one-story house in Ghana with an aluminium roof.
I want to insulate this house in order to prevent the heat outside from coming inside.
I intend to install a plasterboard ceiling.

My question is: Should I install the insulation under the roofing sheets or above the ceiling?

Thanks.
Amnon Laufer

Asked By Amnon Laufer | Apr 23 15
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!