Vented or Unvented Cathedral Roof for Tiny House?

Hi GBA,

I am designing a tiny house and am wondering whether to go 'Vented' or 'Unvented' with the cathedral roof? I'd like get the best performance possible so a second opinion about my proposed assembly would be great. I've attached my current details. I live in climate zone 4, West Kootenays, BC.

Asked By Steven Meldrum | Feb 20 17

Need advice on insulating walls

[Note: This question comes from a GBA reader named Katherine X. I am posting the question for her since she is having trouble registering.]

Asked By Martin Holladay | Feb 20 17

Question on insulating barn

Hi everyone,

Heard about this awesome website by listening to Martin talk the FHB podcast, what a great depth of knowledge that man has!. Now I have a question that I hope to get an intelligent non biased answer for! I currently am in the middle of a project of retrofitting a portion of my barn in order to create a roughly 6' x8' bathroom/shower in a room that's about 16' x 24. That all is well and good but like I said it's....a barn, which means there's is absolutely zero insulation or finished wall surface and the outside wall is also the ship lap exterior siding.

Asked By betterman0908 | Feb 20 17

Filling a sunken floor and laying Tile.

! have a sunken living room floor and intend to raise it to the level of adjoining rooms. The floor has porcelain tile on it, is not cracked and has been in place 10 years. The present depth is 4 3/4" below adjoining rooms. The present plan is to raise the floor with 2x4's, plywood, hardboard or equivalent and use porcelain tile to finish it off. Is it feasible to leave the existing tile and build up over it?

Asked By Sammie Hodges | Feb 20 17

Cracking slab

I had a basement slab poured in May, and it recently cracked in several locations. I am upset that the cracking did not follow control joints. The slab is about 5" thick, and I was aggravated to find that the control joints are only 1/2" deep. From everything I can find, 25% of slab depth is standard. Do I have a leg to stand on in asking the contractor to recut joints to appropriate depth and repair cracks? Slab is 4k psi with rebar on 2' centers poured over poly, 2" XPS, and ~9" crushed stone, in case it is relevant. Thanks for any input.

Asked By Jim Tyler | Feb 20 17

Under tile electrical heating - Schluter Ditra Heat system 2017

Clients have asked me to install under tile electric heating. I've hear good things about the Schluter Ditra Heat system, however I've also read two things that worried me when this system was new to the US.

1. The thermostat only allows the heat to warm up to 84 degrees. You might feel this on your feet but it seems unlike to warm or dry the air above, even as a secondary heat source. Other systems allow 104 degrees. Is this still correct?

2. The Ditra heat thermostats produce a very loud clicking sound that is annoying and wake some people up.

Asked By Ryan Kennedy | Feb 20 17

Heat-pump water heater availability and reliability

I was set to buy a geospring until I found out that they discontinued them. Does anybody have an opinion on the other brands out there?

Asked By user-6765908 | Feb 15 17

Electric tankless hot water

My name is John, and I'm an instructor at Madison Area Tech College in Madison Wi, in the Construction and Remodeling Program. We train or students in a 1 year diploma program how to be wood frame carpenters. We build super high efficient tiny homes with the students, that we sell. We incorporate lots of things talked about on this site. One thing we are trying to figure out: How to efficiently heat water without taking up too much space.

Asked By John Stephany | Feb 7 17

SIP roof issues

Hi Everyone.

I was listening to Mr. Holladay on the FHB podcast and started getting nervous about my SIP roof built 3 years ago.. We live in central Washington and the climate is pretty cold in the winter (mid 20's) and hot in the summer (upper 90's). The humidity levels are low year round. We get about 2-3 of snow on the ground by February. The roof is 1/2:12 pitch and is 64'x32'. The bottom seams of the panels were taped, although the tape didn't seem to stick all that well. The humidity in the house is around 28-32% year round. The ceiling is painted drywall.

Asked By Matt Melton | Feb 17 17

Sealing under-layers of built-up exterior foam panel insulation

Hello again GBA'ers.

Making progress on the details of my 6" graphite EPS over Zip panel exterior wall assembly, and coming down to the final few questions, I think.

At this point I want to use ThermalStar GX EPS, and the assembly will three layers of 2" to get to the final design depth, the outermost face of the outermost layer will be faced, but none of the others will be, which leaves two (I think) questions:

Asked By Gerald Pehl | Feb 19 17