GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

An unhappy “insulating paint” company

Martin Holladay | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

A manufacturer of “insulating paint” is bummed out about GBA articles reporting that reputable research labs have found that so-called “insulating paint” is useless when it comes to reducing residential energy bills.

According to the website, “What is especially dishonest and loathsome is when someone purports themselves to be a expert, and then maligns a product they have never used. This article that I’m referring to was written back in 2009, but because it’s on a blog site like Greenbuildingadvisor.com, it stays quite current in the search engine rankings, to the disservice of everyone that reads this false and misleading article.” (This passage appears in a blog titled “Green Lies.”)

Bummer. Anyway, the insulating paint manufacturer had a great idea. The company started a new website called TrueGreenBuildingAdvisor.com. Genius, right?

The website includes a page called “Energy Saving Tips.” Guess what Tip #1 is? You guessed it — “Use insulating paint.”

I couldn’t make this story up if I wanted to.

(Here is a link to the 2009 article that got the paint scammers all riled up: ‘Insulating’ Paint Merchants Dupe Gullible Homeowners.)

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #1

From their website:

"Published Articles - Read through our past articles which have been featured in magazines like Woman's Day for energy saving tips for your home or commercial building."

Hmmm Woman's Day- there is a peer-reviewed journal of record of scientific & engineering excellence for you! (They didn't actually have any "published articles" reprints when you click the link.) They clearly must have better test methods than the Cold Climate Housing Research Center in Fairbanks does, eh? ;-)

I'm a bit surprised they are still in business- would have thought the FTC might have taken them out by now.

To be fair, they have a few other things than magic mouse-milk on their "Green & Energy Saving Tips" page. It's pretty thin gruel- there have probably been better energy-tips lists that theirs gracing the pages of the venerable Woman's Day.

2. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #2

Martin and Dana,
    I hope you feel proud of yourselves. Somewhere a child is going hungry because their parent didn't make any insulating paint sales today :)

3. STEPHEN SHEEHY | | #3

I just checked and you can buy their stock to get in on the enormous profit potential. INTK is the symbol and at $0.012 per share, there's nowhere to go but up. It's like money in the bank.
    Could be the next Apple.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |