GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Are there passive solar designs that have large north side windows?

AmaK | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Our land has spectacular bluff view, which we want to enjoy from inside, so having some large windows facing the bluff are a desirable feature for our future home plans. Unfortunately the bluff faces NORTH. We would like to use passive solar design, but from what I have read, windows need to be kept to a minimum on the north. What can we do to maximize solar heat gain without sacrificing our view?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-1137156 | | #1

Facing a similar situation, my thoughts are: Use windows facing south for solar gain and accept the loss of heat on the north. Make the north facing windows "fixed" , less tall and more wide to maximize the "view" while minimizing the heat loss. Well fitted "cellular" shades that are kept closed overnight can help further reduce the heat loss from all windows..

2. dankolbert | | #2

I agree with Jerry - we've faced this problem in houses we've built. You need to get creative and make decisions on the bare minimum amount of glazing you think you need to capture the views.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Kirk,
    One final point: make sure that those north-facing windows are triple-glazed units with the lowest possible U-factor.

4. homedesign | | #4

Climate matters
    Which Hemisphere and Climate Zone?
    Triple glazed in San Diego might be "overkill"

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |