GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Difference between Climate Zone 5 and 4 Marine

andrewbuck | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

We are working on a 5 story wood framing over concrete podium senior living facility in Thornton, Illinois. I am trying to understand the difference between Climate Zone 5 and Zone 4 Marine.

Looking at the Blog Post on this website, “Calculating the Minimum Thickness of Rigid Foam Sheathing”, the table on the second page lists the recommendations for Foam Sheathing Thickness, and there is a considerable difference between the Climate Zone 4 Marine, and Climate Zone 5? But, each map I have looked at shows that Cook County, Illinois is both/the zones are the same?

Any feedback would be great.

Thank you
-Andrew

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Andrew,
    First of all, you are correct that Illinois is in two climate zones. The northern half of the state is in Climate Zone 5A, and the southern half of the state is in Climate Zone 4A (not Zone 4 Marine).

I will post an image below to help you decide whether you are building in Climate Zone 4 or Zone 5.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Andrew,
    Here is the link to the Climate Zone Map for the entire country:
    Climate Zone Map.

3. ethan_TFGStudio | | #3

Climate zone map link no longer works ;(

1. Expert Member
      Dana Dorsett | | #4

Try this:

https://beta.greenbuildingadvisor.com/app/uploads/sites/default/files/images/DOE_climate_zone_map.preview.jpg

Note that climate zone 4C (Marine) is on the left coast, a portion of the Pacific coastal region (and nowhere near Illinois.)

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |