GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Making your own minisplit linesets?

nejpski | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I have purchased several Mini-splits for a rental building I manage (which currently touts window ACs (yuck!)).

With the cost of linesets being so relatively high, what is the problem with purchasing copper and cutting and flaring my own. I have purchased a couple of sets, but find nearly 6 of 12 feet is coiled. I am contemplating cutting in half and reflaring…

I understand the flares are different. And, thus far I havent found a good source of the flare nuts for the new refrigerant. Suggested sources?

By the time I am done, I plan on installing a total of 8 units. So I have time to develop some skills.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

John,
    A simple Google search turns up sources for flare nuts. Are they really any different from common flare nuts? Some online sources:

http://futuregarden.com/flare-union-coupler-for-5-8-in-lineset-case10.html

https://www.sunlightsupply.com/shop/bycategory/ac-dehumidification-humidification/mini-split-lineset-couplers-and-flare-nuts

Here is a link to a thread on a Q&A forum with a few hints and anecdotes:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=232775

2. mackstann | | #2

I haven't done it myself, but when my mini split was installed, I saw that they had just cut some copper off of a big spool. I presume the pre-made linesets are just a convenience thing and not required.

3. jinmtvt | | #3

They are of course not required .
    Most of pros will use on-site flared connections.

The pre-made are a convenience.

John Granoski: be sure to use the correct size and thread
    depending on the machine size and the brand

and recent machines changed from the older standard a few years ago i guess

lastly, use Pro tools for flaring

good luck :)

4. nejpski | | #4

Thanks to ALL. Due in part to your comments and encouragement, I made the plunge, (or I should say made the cut)...

I had purchased a the Yellow Jacket flaring tool and didnt see any real issues. [My first bout with flaring was 40 years ago when my father purchased a camper which had been frozen out (aluminum).] Certainly my YJ is a nicer tool (and more expensive).

I havent finished the wiring, but hope to have one up today or tomorrow.

AGAIN, MY THANKS TO ALL......and GBA for hosting this site.

PS the apartment building (in which I live) is a 1901 house in Lincoln Nebraska originally single family but now houses 8 apts (about 500sf each, give or take). The electrical was redone about 10 years ago so is current. The building is all brick so the solar mass is huge. Unfortunately once an apt gets heated up, it hard to cool back down......and did I mention 63 windows in the structure....more than half facing south or west.

Hopefully the mini-splits will be the answer!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |