Roof replacement concerns; weird airflow; increasing R-value

This is my first post and its long.. I attached an image of what I think the current setup of our house is. Until the actual roof is opened I won't know for sure. I'm also new to all this and the correct terms to use. Zone 6.
95% of the roof is cathedral ceiling with a small attic in a corner. The inside ceiling is drywall and TG. There seems to be a layer of clear plastic behind the drywall. 80% sure there is drywall behind the TG boards.

Asked By Amz1323 | Oct 19 17

Bonus Room Above Garage Insulation - SE Michigan

I know this has been talked about a lot but my bonus room above the garage is freezing in the winter especially the floor. The room has knee walls also. I am looking to get the room spray foamed and have had 2 guys come out with 2 different options and its a bit confusing. Options are below:

Current status - I ripped out the garage ceiling dry wall and pulled all the insulation down. There was differently a gap between insulation and the floor in spots and just not insulated good in my opinion.

Option 1

Asked By swdude12 | Oct 19 17

Plywood sheathing over rigid foam

THIS IS LONG BUT PLEASE BEAR WITH ME. Any advice on this project would be greatly appreciated! My home is located in the 6A zone. To start I purchased a home 3 years ago and decided I wanted to replace the windows and doors. The house was built in 1978. Upon further inspection of the home (which my home buyer inspector did not catch) I discovered that my house does not have any wood sheathing. It was built with 1in blue tounge and groove styrofoam board and had aluminum siding attached to it nailed to the wall studs. The rigid foam was never taped at the joints either.

Asked By Rg14 | Oct 18 17

Smart MemBrain with mineral wool

Using Thermafiber Mineral Wool in 2x6 stud cavities. Planning on using CertainTeed's Smart Membrain before hanging drywall.

1.) Is this the best idea in terms of proper product use and installation?

2.) Will stapling the Membrain to my studs cause any issue?

Asked By Nicholas C | Oct 18 17

Heat loss, can lights in cathedral ceiling

The information about replacing or retrofitting can lights with LED fixtures has been really helpful. However, I have a cathedral ceiling with what I think are standard can lights, with a diameter of 7.5" within the can, and about 9.5 " total diameter including trim--the ceilings are about 18' high so I am having a difficult time getting to one to carefully measure.

I cannot find anywhere residential can light LED retrofits for this size. I've looked at what Cree offers, as well as Home Depot and Lowes, and they all max out at 6".

Asked By JWBDSR | Oct 17 17

Multiple condensers vs multiple heads

A quick search found little info , I am curious on the virtues for multi head ductless vs multiple stand alone mini splits. How much of a penalty would be paid for electric usage? I see more wiring , having a breaker and disconnect for each, however the upside that if one went down you would have backup. Obviously you would need to do this in a situation where you had heads on different ends of a larger home. My other thought is you could mix and match units.

Asked By scott mangold | Oct 19 17

Insulating a beehive for winter

Bees seem to need our help more and more these days. They do not hibernate, but cluster together to create warmth, and subsequently create moisture by breathing. That can turn deadly unless there is a little ventilation. Therefore, there are openings top and bottom for ventilation and for bee flights on nice days. Traditional hive wraps are black roofing felt (tarpaper), or a black plastic covered fiberglass blanket "wrap," or my current 1" silver foil-faced rigid foam. I like the idea of 2" foam (strapped like a box around the hive) but wonder what will happen in the elements.

Asked By Brownew | Oct 16 17

Can my outdoor minisplit unit benefit from a solar cover in harsh NY winters?

I am brainstorming a greenhouse type cover over my outdoor unit to keep it warmer in the winter to maximize its ability to heat. There are clear corrugated roof tiles at my local home store I am thinking of fashioning into a roof over the unit outside, facing South with possible partial sides. I am aware it needs air flow. My hope is to keep the outdoor unit warmer to avoid it getting too bogged down in the cold. It is a Fujitsu 15RSL3H made for extreme cold.

Asked By PamNYWinters | Oct 14 17

Are my minisplits modulating or short cycling?

Hello- first of all this site has been an incredible resource. I did most of my own research in adding 4 mini splits to my 1940's home. It was primarily for AC and heat for the shoulder seasons as we really enjoy our 1 pipe steam heat (although older boiler). I went with 2x Fujitsu (not XLTH) condensers with 2 heads each. A 12k per floor (open kitchen area, top of stairs, attic playroom), and 7k in the master.

Home has been retrofitted with new windows, open cell in the rafters, blown-in in the walls, etc...so definitely on the tighter side for it's age.

Asked By Kjmass1 | Oct 4 17

Low-ceilinged small bathroom in Zone 4, built in 1930: How to insulate?

The home has a metal roof with good dow corning underlayment. It is sloped and is a low ceiling at outside wall. I wanted to use Closed cell spray to Insulate . I have been closing up all soffit vents. I have to gable vents on house. My concern is having roof deck rot. Should i leave a 1/2 inch gap and vent to attic ? The area is a wrap around porch connected too main house that has been closed in over the years. The ceiling joists rest on top plate of main house.

Asked By Greenconfusion | Oct 18 17