Effects of 2" to 3" PVC dry drain pipes through crawl space

Good evening. I have a 2,600 SF home that has 900 SF crawl space under half of it. The builder placed all the overflow type drains (next to water heater/washer, next to my mechanicals, etc, to run to daylight into my far yard. These don't have water traps because they run to daylight I suppose and rarely if ever have drain water in them.

My house does not use A/C and in winter we currently use a large indoor wood burning stove and supplement cold rooms with electric oil radiant heaters, as-needed.

Asked By Andy Nels | Feb 11 16

I have a crawl space with cold joints that are inadequately sealed and ooze water. How can I seal them?

I would like to do it healthfully and effectively so I don't have to be concerned about water intrusion in the future.

Asked By Kevin Krafft | Feb 7 16

Does anybody know of a window manufacturer who makes/sells double hung windows that are very energy efficient?

We are building a home that has what I would call a farmhouse look. Does anyone know of a double hung winnow that would be considered very energy efficient. We are considering European or European style casement, tilt and turns with simulated divided lights. Truthfully, it would be a lot easier to use a conventional double hung window that would fit aesthetically with this home design. I like the energy efficiency of good casements but with the added expense of adding Simulated divided lights it may be easier to go with double hung windows. We are in climate zone 4.
Thanks

Asked By william dempsey | Mar 10 15

Are holes in exterior plywood sheathing necessary?

We are building a new home on the west coast of BC. Our framer has placed large diameter holes in the exterior plywood sheathing saying this is necessary to meet code and allow the exterior to breathe. Our concern is that when other protective layers placed over the sheathing break down over time (plastic and tape and glue only last so long) we have a welcome entry point for water, rodents, carpenter ants ect. How does this practice fit into an 'airtight' home??
We are not builders but can't find anywhere noted that these holes are necessary. Thoughts, advice or comments appreciated.

Asked By Frances Bucinel | Feb 10 16

Venting in open-face cladding

We are completing the exterior cladding for the house, in climate zone 5, Pittsburgh, PA. The cladding is high density fiber cement panel, over 3x1 wood rainscreen, and per manufacture's instructions, we left 3/8'' gaps between panels, in both horizontal and vertical directions. Rainscreen wood is covered with EPDM rubber prior to installing the panels. The instructions also call for leaving 13/16'' (2 cm) ventilation gap below the roof, but spot-check inspection shows that some of these gaps were really closer to 1/4'' or even less.

Asked By Lucyna de Barbaro | Feb 10 16

GSHP and an endless pool

We have slowly been renovating our 115 year old, 2200 sq ft farm house over the past 12 years and live in northern Michigan (climate zone 6). This year we are replacing the 60 year old aluminum siding and roof and upgrading the walls to r30 and the roof to r60. We are also adding a 2425 gal endless pool/spa to the outdoor covered porch. I understand an outdoor pool in northern Michigan probably doesn't fall into the category of green building but it will definitely be fun!

Asked By Ryan Knight | Feb 9 16

Zip panels as a WRB for SIPs?

We are building our home with 8.25" SIPs made from OSB and EPS foam. I have been considering using a fluid applied WRB like one from Prosoco, Stoguard, Tremco, or the fluid applied Tyvek brand. I'm reading varying reports of their durability and have been turned off by their steep prices. For instance, based on estimated coverage, the Prosoco Cat 5 would run me around $1.44 per sq ft. Surprisingly, sheathing over the Sips with Zip system panels would be around $0.62 per sq ft.

Asked By Brian W | Feb 10 16

Do I need to install rigid insulation in the bottom of a walk-in refrigerator before I install tile?

I am being hired to remove the failing metal floor and install quarry tile in the bottom of a commercial walk in refrigerator. The existing floor has 4" of insulation, then plywood and then metal floor on top of the wood. I believe the existing insulation is in very poor condition and possibly wet and I am planning to remove all of it. This is in a restauraunt in southeren California which is on the second floor of a commercial building where there is a structural slab as the foundation and there is occupied space on the first floor below.

Asked By Jim Jelinski | Feb 10 16

HVAC question

So, I am admittedly not an expert, thats why Im here :) And I know there are a ton of variables but I hope to sum this up as clearly as possible. This is all relating to heating.

Asked By rob elzey | Feb 10 16

Can Unvented Roof Assemblies be Insulated with Fiberglass If I use Rigid foam on the exterior of the sheathing?

I have read the Aug 21st post titled "Can Unvented Roof Assemblies Be Insulated with Fiberglass? http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/articles/dept/musings/can-unvented-r... I think the answer is "Yes, but...". And here is the but: You need to add the appropriate thickness of rigid foam to the exterior side of the OSB sheathing. I've read so many different roof profile scenarios...I know I ought to be able to figure this out...but I have a few questions...I'm hoping to get some confirmation of my lessons learned as a rookie here on GBA.

Asked By Inger Peters | Feb 10 16