where to buy competitively-priced PV panels?

Hi there,

For years I've been reading here about how the price of PV has dropped and dropped. I believe that, yet I'm unconvinced that my web searches are showing me those most-competitively-priced PV panels and accessories (particularly since improvements continue to be made, and older models may sit on the web to be unloaded at not-very-competitive prices).

I realize the folks working for GBA may possibly not feel comfortable listing some good places to buy PV panels (or, maybe it's not a conflict), but in any case, I'd bet some forum members could advise...?

Asked By Minneapolis Disaster, 6B | Jan 25 15

Bathroom exhaust fan damper

I was just installing a Panasonic whisper green select exhaust fan. I've heard that Panasonic makes quality fans and I liked the options that the fan has, but I was unimpressed with the damper. Its flimsy plastic and it doesn't seal the fan at all. I can clearly see through the fan and down to the floor through two big gaps on each side of the damper. I remember the last fan I installed was a cheaper brand but it had a nice metal damper that seemed to seal quite well. Is there anything that I can do to seal the fan better? Would installing a duct damper be wise. Thanks for any help.

Asked By Kevin Schramm | Jan 25 15

Rigid Foam on inside of stud cavity

Looking to maximum the insulation levels as high as I can and not use spray foam due to price.

Asked By kurtis wiedmann | Jan 25 15

LPG infloor heat with HWH with a heat exchanger in the HWH is too expensive to run!

I have the above home on a monolithic slab. ...LPG to run the HWH and a heat exchanger pipe running through the HWH to heat my floor...TOO DANG EXPENSIVE TO HEAT MY HOME THAT WAY! Suggestions on how to make it more efficient would be appreciated. A air to water heat pump? A heat pump water heater with a heat exchanger pipe running through the HWH? A solar system of some sort?

Asked By Ed Jones | Jan 25 15

Vaulted ceiling insulation

I'm fixing up my garage, looking for some insulation guidance. The framing was done by somebody's grandfather in the 40's and it's real crazy, but then, it's stood there in southern CA earthquakes for about 70 years so I'm not too worried about it. Anyway, I'd like to attach T & G or drywall directly to the roof rafters, to keep the vaulted look but can't figure out how best to insulate it since there'd be no attic.

idea #1: put Dow Tuff-R rigid insulation in between the rafters, fill in gaps with Great Stuff foam.

Asked By Robert Page | Jan 25 15

Wall vent vs. roof vent

We are installing a custom wood range hood and can't decide between venting through our wall or heading through the roof. The duct is 6" round. Going through the roof the run would be about 3-4' straight up. Roof is pitched about 5-12 and the vent cap would land right around 30" from the eave.

The range sits on an exterior wall, so heading though the wall would give the run a 90 degree turn and about 2' of ducting. The siding is 4" lap fiber cement. Any pros or cons or suggestions to persuade me one way or another?

Asked By Matt Cibula | Jan 25 15

Asked By Ed Jones | Jan 25 15

Asked By Ed Jones | Jan 25 15

What's the best way to integrate rain water to a condo system?

Hi,

First of thank you for having such a wonderful forum to share infornation on. I have found this place very usefull in the past.

To my question: im designing a 7 story medium sized condo that will house 6 families. Im thinking of integrating rain harvesting to the building as we some times get droughts and i hate to see all that rain water go to waste. I think it should be regulation to have some sort of backup water sytem just incase the mains dry up. But for now will just be using rain water for the watering closet.

Some numbers:

Asked By Osman Naskali | Jan 24 15

advice on rough finished new construction zone 5 top floor

Background: I did what I said I'd never do and bought a big house. I'm trying to house several older family members and my kids at this time in my life and I couldn't help it. The style, over built owner construction and 8 hard wooded acres hooked me. And the price was right. It's all finished except for the top floor. Which is where most of my advice will be needed. It's located in Middlesex County ma.

The 1250 sqf top floor has dormers and 1 skylight.. 2x6 walls and

Asked By stephen edge | Jan 25 15