Under tile electrical heating - Schluter Ditra Heat system 2017

Clients have asked me to install under tile electric heating. I've hear good things about the Schluter Ditra Heat system, however I've also read two things that worried me when this system was new to the US.

1. The thermostat only allows the heat to warm up to 84 degrees. You might feel this on your feet but it seems unlike to warm or dry the air above, even as a secondary heat source. Other systems allow 104 degrees. Is this still correct?

2. The Ditra heat thermostats produce a very loud clicking sound that is annoying and wake some people up.

Asked By Ryan Kennedy | Feb 20 17

Cracking slab

I had a basement slab poured in May, and it recently cracked in several locations. I am upset that the cracking did not follow control joints. The slab is about 5" thick, and I was aggravated to find that the control joints are only 1/2" deep. From everything I can find, 25% of slab depth is standard. Do I have a leg to stand on in asking the contractor to recut joints to appropriate depth and repair cracks? Slab is 4k psi with rebar on 2' centers poured over poly, 2" XPS, and ~9" crushed stone, in case it is relevant. Thanks for any input.

Asked By Jim Tyler | Feb 20 17

Heat-pump water heater availability and reliability

I was set to buy a geospring until I found out that they discontinued them. Does anybody have an opinion on the other brands out there?

Asked By user-6765908 | Feb 15 17

Electric tankless hot water

My name is John, and I'm an instructor at Madison Area Tech College in Madison Wi, in the Construction and Remodeling Program. We train or students in a 1 year diploma program how to be wood frame carpenters. We build super high efficient tiny homes with the students, that we sell. We incorporate lots of things talked about on this site. One thing we are trying to figure out: How to efficiently heat water without taking up too much space.

Asked By John Stephany | Feb 7 17

Filling a sunken floor and laying Tile.

! have a sunken living room floor and intend to raise it to the level of adjoining rooms. The floor has porcelain tile on it, is not cracked and has been in place 10 years. The present depth is 4 3/4" below adjoining rooms. The present plan is to raise the floor with 2x4's, plywood, hardboard or equivalent and use porcelain tile to finish it off. Is it feasible to leave the existing tile and build up over it?

Asked By Sammie Hodges | Feb 20 17

SIP roof issues

Hi Everyone.

I was listening to Mr. Holladay on the FHB podcast and started getting nervous about my SIP roof built 3 years ago.. We live in central Washington and the climate is pretty cold in the winter (mid 20's) and hot in the summer (upper 90's). The humidity levels are low year round. We get about 2-3 of snow on the ground by February. The roof is 1/2:12 pitch and is 64'x32'. The bottom seams of the panels were taped, although the tape didn't seem to stick all that well. The humidity in the house is around 28-32% year round. The ceiling is painted drywall.

Asked By Matt Melton | Feb 17 17

Sealing under-layers of built-up exterior foam panel insulation

Hello again GBA'ers.

Making progress on the details of my 6" graphite EPS over Zip panel exterior wall assembly, and coming down to the final few questions, I think.

At this point I want to use ThermalStar GX EPS, and the assembly will three layers of 2" to get to the final design depth, the outermost face of the outermost layer will be faced, but none of the others will be, which leaves two (I think) questions:

Asked By Gerald Pehl | Feb 19 17

Garage Door Perimeter Seals

I am finishing up a garage build in New Hampshire. The garage space will be heated and the garage doors are the biggest issue as far as air infiltration goes. I have gone with a two inch thick polyurethane door. Each door section has a sealing strip inbetween to seal air infiltration. The issue that I am having is finding a good high quality perimeter seal. Garaga brand double seal was recommended for its good sealing qualitys and the vinyl rubber seal is supposed to be very flexible down to low temps.

Asked By Jonathan Sinclair | Feb 20 17

How to get notifications from comments

Hello GBA.

I'm getting notifications of comments to questions that I ask, but I'd also like to get notifications when from _other_ threads, especially threads that I comment on.

Is there a way to do that?

Thanks in advance!

Asked By Gerald Pehl | Feb 19 17

Location of Multi Port Tee for Plumbing

Hello GBA, Zone 2A, I'm replumbing my house, and need help deciding the location of the main multiport tees. There will be 12 lines for the cold, and 8 for the hot. I can put it in the garage right by the water filters and heater, then route all lines up and over, or just put the tee in the attic then route the lines over from it. There is an access panel immediately in front of where it would be in the attic, so access is not an issue. All lines before the multiport tees are copper.

Pros of the in the attic:
Easier routing.
Looks much cleaner in the garage.
Less PEX used.

Asked By Jimmy Black | Feb 20 17