Is there a code requirement for residential boiler piping insulation?

If so, what is the R-value for pipes in conditioned space? And unconditioned space?

We live near Baltimore, MD.

Asked By Brantley Gent | Apr 30 16

New slab with radiant heat

As part of our remodel north of San Francisco (ZIP code 94941), we are converting about 700SF of our lower level into living space. The existing slab has been removed we excavated a few additional inches to increase our ceiling height, and we are getting ready to put back a new 5" slab, in which we will also add radiant heat tied to the rebar.

Asked By Torsten Budesheim | Apr 22 16

Exterior finish on 1850s farmhouse

I've got an 1850s farm house I'm in the process of renovating. The house needs considerable exterior painting.

Do you all have recommendations on the best exterior finishes for an old house like this? I could shingle instead of painting, for example, or strip and stain.

I'm hoping to create the most energy efficient old house possible with minimal future upkeep. Paint seems to need redoing quite frequently, and other possibilities would be welcome.

Ilmari

Asked By DJ Polojarvi | Apr 30 16

How exactly does this Carrier ERV work? Is it any good?

Hello, I'm working with a contractor putting together a plan for air sealing, insulation and a new furnace. For ventilation, he is suggesting a Carrier "comfort" series ERV. This unit has no separate control panel, it simply runs whenever the furnace fan is running, and it connects ONLY to the return trunk of the furnace system, either directly to the furnace cabinet or the return plenum/duct.

http://www.carrier.com/residential/en/us/products/indoor-air-quality/ven...

I found the install manual here:

Asked By Zach H | Apr 30 16

Best wall system for Vermont?

I am building a modular home in Chittenden County Vermont and have been debating what type of wall system and insulation combination will be best. There are three wall systems under consideration, but I am open to alternatives.

1) 2x8 framing 16" on center with Roxul cavity insulation (R30) and Thermalstar sheathing w/1.5" EPS foam (R7.5) for total R-value of 37.5.

2) 2x6 framing 16" on center with Roxul cavity insulation (R24) and 2" polyiso rigid foam (R13) for a total R-value of 37.

3) 10" double stud 2x4 wall, BIBS cavity insulation and Zip sheathing for total R-value of 39.

Asked By Craig A | Apr 29 16

Pond pebbles instead of crushed gravel for the driveway - what to do??

Our general contractor received a wrong kind of gravel for our big driveway install. We have 1500 sf to build and 1/2 of it is a concrete driveway and 1/2 permeable pavers. We have 2/3 of the total rock needed already on site. And that rock is pond pebble instead of limestone gravel that would have properly compacted under the driveway. Supposedly this cannot be returned. What are we to do?

Asked By Lucyna de Barbaro | Apr 30 16

Best furring strip over exterior foam to hold Hardie siding?

Ok, this has come up before and I want to get final recommendations from those who have done the work in the field as my foam board is almost finished.

I have attached 2.5" of recycled EPS to the exterior over my drain wrap. Windows are INNIES and are flashed well. As a point of fact, the Tyvek brand tape worked and adheres excellent to the EPS. I have some 3M all weather tape but the Tyvek tape works great and is easier to work with.

Asked By Joe Suhrada | Apr 26 16

Photovoltaics: String vs. Microinverters

CZ-4. Southern Indiana. New Construction Ranch. Garage Roof faces 30 deg west of south (210 deg). NO shading from trees now or in future. About 36 Grid-Tied Panels. No battery back-up. A purchase arrangement, not a lease type transaction. Three major installers in the metropolitan Louisville, KY market.

Two competing PV installers. One for Microinverters ; one for Strings with single inverter/optimizer.

Asked By Ted Cummings | Apr 30 16

Another cathedral ceiling and insulation

Greetings, I have a home in climate zone 4c that desperately needs some insulation, last summer I was seeing 90+ interior temps. And burn 4 plus cord a year to stay warm.

Built in 1954, the whole house is vaulted ceilings. All 2x8 cavities, 16" oc. There is continuous soffit venting and no ridge vent. About 2" batt insulation.

I plan to reroof to achieve the r value I want. My plan was roxul mineral wool r30 batts in the bay's, resheet roof with zip sheeting, followed by 3" polyiso.

Asked By Scott Brzoska | Apr 29 16

Is this my best foundation choice?

First off, Green Building Advisor has been invaluable in my research to design my future home and have found it well worth the membership cost. So thank you, to all you who have made this site what it is.

I am planning on building a 1700 sq ft ranch style straw bale house near Cortez Co (climate zone 5B). Currently I am sketching up layouts, making lots of notes on building techniques, choosing home fixtures (doors/windows), HVAC systems and researching different build options, before I take my plans to an architect so he can refine and incorporate them.

Asked By Ken Hodge | Apr 29 16