Mineral wool boards below grade and termites

My house's structure is made of wood and there are subterranean termites (non-formosan) in my yard and area. I am planning to excavate and insulate the slab perimeter in the interests of saving on heating, but am worried about creating a termite highway.

I figure XPS is right out, and I'm not sure about termite-treated EPS either. The availability, price per R, and ease of installation are attractive, but since the advertised termite resistance just comes from a chemical treatment, I worry that it will fade or leach out over time.

I've considered foamglas, which would be ideal due to its many desirable qualities, but it's ridiculously expensive compared to the alternatives.

What about mineral wool? I see people online (including here) claiming it's resistant to termites, but I've been unable to locate any real confirmation or denial of this. My sense is that the mineral wool industry would be advertising this if it were true (as the foamglas industry does). So what's the skinny?

Asked by Nate G
Posted Aug 8, 2014 7:35 PM ET

1.
Posted Aug 10, 2014 11:35 AM ET

Has anyone used Airfoil electrical boxes in Ontario, Canada?

In Building Code Questions | Asked by User-7049195 | Apr 25, 18

Cold pantry in a Passive House via hot water heat pump air exhaust

In General questions | Asked by Mike AbiEzzi | Apr 25, 18

Estimating usage for PV system and choosing panels

In General questions | Asked by User-6952755 | Apr 25, 18

Vented and unvented ceiling, Zip System, metal roofing, underlayment question

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Bridget Lamberson | Jan 10, 17

Recommended European Tilt Turn Options with Thinnest Site Line

In Green products and materials | Asked by J M | Apr 7, 18