Mineral wool boards below grade and termites

My house's structure is made of wood and there are subterranean termites (non-formosan) in my yard and area. I am planning to excavate and insulate the slab perimeter in the interests of saving on heating, but am worried about creating a termite highway.

I figure XPS is right out, and I'm not sure about termite-treated EPS either. The availability, price per R, and ease of installation are attractive, but since the advertised termite resistance just comes from a chemical treatment, I worry that it will fade or leach out over time.

I've considered foamglas, which would be ideal due to its many desirable qualities, but it's ridiculously expensive compared to the alternatives.

What about mineral wool? I see people online (including here) claiming it's resistant to termites, but I've been unable to locate any real confirmation or denial of this. My sense is that the mineral wool industry would be advertising this if it were true (as the foamglas industry does). So what's the skinny?

Asked by Nate G
Posted Aug 8, 2014 7:35 PM ET

1.
Posted Aug 10, 2014 11:35 AM ET

How much are mini-splits really affected by altitude?

In General questions | Asked by Dave H | Sep 22, 16

Supplier for small registers and boots for ducted minisplit?

In Green products and materials | Asked by Clay Whitenack | Sep 26, 16

Condensation on plexiglass?

In General questions | Asked by Marc Delisle | Sep 25, 16

Could a heat pump unit be used to heat a crawl space that is closed in?

In General questions | Asked by Leonard Klinger | Sep 25, 16

Uninsulated flex duct: Does it lose its sound-dampening qualities?

In Green products and materials | Asked by Clay Whitenack | Sep 24, 16