Mineral wool boards below grade and termites

My house's structure is made of wood and there are subterranean termites (non-formosan) in my yard and area. I am planning to excavate and insulate the slab perimeter in the interests of saving on heating, but am worried about creating a termite highway.

I figure XPS is right out, and I'm not sure about termite-treated EPS either. The availability, price per R, and ease of installation are attractive, but since the advertised termite resistance just comes from a chemical treatment, I worry that it will fade or leach out over time.

I've considered foamglas, which would be ideal due to its many desirable qualities, but it's ridiculously expensive compared to the alternatives.

What about mineral wool? I see people online (including here) claiming it's resistant to termites, but I've been unable to locate any real confirmation or denial of this. My sense is that the mineral wool industry would be advertising this if it were true (as the foamglas industry does). So what's the skinny?

Asked by Nate G
Posted Aug 8, 2014 7:35 PM ET

1.
Posted Aug 10, 2014 11:35 AM ET

Unvented cathedral ceiling — insulating from above

In General questions | Asked by Paul Buchkowski | Jun 25, 16

I am thinking of an unvented cathedral ceiling

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Mike Tomlinson | Jun 24, 16

Insulating above a garage roof

In General questions | Asked by Jeremy Turner | Jun 30, 16

How to work with a very deep truss in vaulted ceiling.

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Barry Reicker | Jun 29, 16