Mineral wool boards below grade and termites

My house's structure is made of wood and there are subterranean termites (non-formosan) in my yard and area. I am planning to excavate and insulate the slab perimeter in the interests of saving on heating, but am worried about creating a termite highway.

I figure XPS is right out, and I'm not sure about termite-treated EPS either. The availability, price per R, and ease of installation are attractive, but since the advertised termite resistance just comes from a chemical treatment, I worry that it will fade or leach out over time.

I've considered foamglas, which would be ideal due to its many desirable qualities, but it's ridiculously expensive compared to the alternatives.

What about mineral wool? I see people online (including here) claiming it's resistant to termites, but I've been unable to locate any real confirmation or denial of this. My sense is that the mineral wool industry would be advertising this if it were true (as the foamglas industry does). So what's the skinny?

Asked by Nate G
Posted Aug 8, 2014 6:35 PM ET

1.
Posted Aug 10, 2014 10:35 AM ET

How do I get rid of A LARGE AMOUNT of attic moisture

In Mechanicals | Asked by Scott Hill | Dec 10, 16

I need insulation help in Baltimore

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by David Soderblom | Dec 10, 16

Lunos e2 ductless HRV system vs. ducted system

In Mechanicals | Asked by Courtney McCracken | Dec 8, 16

I recently had a metal roof installed on my house

In General questions | Asked by Linda DuBois | Dec 10, 16

Incorrect plumbing joint fix for basement bathroom install

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Mike Tew | Dec 10, 16