Mineral wool boards below grade and termites

My house's structure is made of wood and there are subterranean termites (non-formosan) in my yard and area. I am planning to excavate and insulate the slab perimeter in the interests of saving on heating, but am worried about creating a termite highway.

I figure XPS is right out, and I'm not sure about termite-treated EPS either. The availability, price per R, and ease of installation are attractive, but since the advertised termite resistance just comes from a chemical treatment, I worry that it will fade or leach out over time.

I've considered foamglas, which would be ideal due to its many desirable qualities, but it's ridiculously expensive compared to the alternatives.

What about mineral wool? I see people online (including here) claiming it's resistant to termites, but I've been unable to locate any real confirmation or denial of this. My sense is that the mineral wool industry would be advertising this if it were true (as the foamglas industry does). So what's the skinny?

Asked by Nathaniel G
Posted Aug 8, 2014 6:35 PM ET

1.
Posted Aug 10, 2014 10:35 AM ET

High humidity issues in a spray foam attic

In General questions | Asked by Danny Kelly | Jun 18, 10

How to insulate valleys in a cathedral ceiling to avoid ice dams?

In GBA Pro help | Asked by OLIVIER van lier | Feb 1, 15

Poly on interior wall

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Nicholas C | Jan 31, 15

Using Rigid Foam on a concrete block house - Northern Ohio

In Plans Review | Asked by Tim M | Feb 1, 15