Mineral wool boards below grade and termites

My house's structure is made of wood and there are subterranean termites (non-formosan) in my yard and area. I am planning to excavate and insulate the slab perimeter in the interests of saving on heating, but am worried about creating a termite highway.

I figure XPS is right out, and I'm not sure about termite-treated EPS either. The availability, price per R, and ease of installation are attractive, but since the advertised termite resistance just comes from a chemical treatment, I worry that it will fade or leach out over time.

I've considered foamglas, which would be ideal due to its many desirable qualities, but it's ridiculously expensive compared to the alternatives.

What about mineral wool? I see people online (including here) claiming it's resistant to termites, but I've been unable to locate any real confirmation or denial of this. My sense is that the mineral wool industry would be advertising this if it were true (as the foamglas industry does). So what's the skinny?

Asked by iLikeDirt
Posted Aug 8, 2014 6:35 PM ET

1.
Answered by user-1132906
Posted Aug 10, 2014 10:35 AM ET

National Fiber in Belchertown, Mass.

In Green products and materials | Asked by Scott Mangold | Feb 21, 17

Under tile electrical heating - Schluter Ditra Heat system 2017

In Green products and materials | Asked by Ryan Kennedy | Feb 20, 17

Need advice on insulating walls

In General questions | Asked by Martin Holladay | Feb 20, 17

Whole House Ventilation

In General questions | Asked by N/A N/A | Feb 21, 17

Paint OSB subfloor to protect from rain during slow construction?

In General questions | Asked by Jeff Cooper | Feb 21, 17