GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Air sealing penetrations

STEPHEN SHEEHY | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

My new house is designed to limit penetrations through the building envelope to as few as possible. Nevertheless, sillcocks, outside electrical receptacles, outside lights, HRV intake/ exhaust, etc. need to be sealed.
Are there methods or products that are more effective than others? How about ease of installation? I’ve seen photos of tape covering holes and that seems like a pretty clunky solution. I’m probably going to either do much of the airsealing myself, or at least supervise it.
Thanks for any advice.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Stephen,
    There is no single answer to your question. Most builders use a combination of rubber boots, European tape, peel-and-stick flashing, and caulk. In some cases, canned spray foam is useful, although it doesn't always provide a foolproof seal.

If these products are new to you, you can survey the offerings of two online suppliers, 475 High Performance Building Supply and Small Planet Workshop.

2. RZR | | #2

How a brief description of what a cross section through a wall and roof looks like and how you air sealed them?

3. Richard Beyer | | #3

Also look up Grace Vycors new spray on air sealing methods. It looks very promising.

https://grace.com/construction/en-us/residential-building-materials

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |