Air sealing penetrations

My new house is designed to limit penetrations through the building envelope to as few as possible. Nevertheless, sillcocks, outside electrical receptacles, outside lights, HRV intake/ exhaust, etc. need to be sealed.
Are there methods or products that are more effective than others? How about ease of installation? I've seen photos of tape covering holes and that seems like a pretty clunky solution. I'm probably going to either do much of the airsealing myself, or at least supervise it.
Thanks for any advice.

Asked by stephen sheehy
Posted Aug 29, 2014 8:24 AM ET
Edited Aug 29, 2014 10:06 AM ET

There is no single answer to your question. Most builders use a combination of rubber boots, European tape, peel-and-stick flashing, and caulk. In some cases, canned spray foam is useful, although it doesn't always provide a foolproof seal.

If these products are new to you, you can survey the offerings of two online suppliers, 475 High Performance Building Supply and Small Planet Workshop.

Posted Aug 29, 2014 10:07 AM ET
Edited Aug 29, 2014 10:09 AM ET.

How a brief description of what a cross section through a wall and roof looks like and how you air sealed them?

Answered by Terry Lee
Posted Aug 29, 2014 2:37 PM ET

Also look up Grace Vycors new spray on air sealing methods. It looks very promising.

Answered by Richard Beyer
Posted Aug 29, 2014 11:24 PM ET

How to insulate a stackboard house?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Terry Sharpe | Jan 4, 16