Helpful? 0

Air sealing penetrations

My new house is designed to limit penetrations through the building envelope to as few as possible. Nevertheless, sillcocks, outside electrical receptacles, outside lights, HRV intake/ exhaust, etc. need to be sealed.
Are there methods or products that are more effective than others? How about ease of installation? I've seen photos of tape covering holes and that seems like a pretty clunky solution. I'm probably going to either do much of the airsealing myself, or at least supervise it.
Thanks for any advice.

Asked by stephen sheehy
Posted Fri, 08/29/2014 - 07:24
Edited Fri, 08/29/2014 - 09:06

Tags:

3 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Stephen,
There is no single answer to your question. Most builders use a combination of rubber boots, European tape, peel-and-stick flashing, and caulk. In some cases, canned spray foam is useful, although it doesn't always provide a foolproof seal.

If these products are new to you, you can survey the offerings of two online suppliers, 475 High Performance Building Supply and Small Planet Workshop.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Fri, 08/29/2014 - 09:07
Edited Fri, 08/29/2014 - 09:09.

Helpful? 0

How a brief description of what a cross section through a wall and roof looks like and how you air sealed them?

Answered by Terry Lee
Posted Fri, 08/29/2014 - 13:37

Helpful? 0

Also look up Grace Vycors new spray on air sealing methods. It looks very promising.

https://grace.com/construction/en-us/residential-building-materials

Answered by Richard Beyer
Posted Fri, 08/29/2014 - 22:24

Other Questions in Energy efficiency and durability

Closed Cell Spray Foam on Roof Deck...shingle underlayment choice?

In General questions | Asked by Mark Helmrich | Dec 19, 14

Woodstoves: does efficient burning depend on size?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Patricia Appelbaum | Dec 17, 14

Wet OSB - how much water can it take?

In General questions | Asked by colleen1 runyen | Dec 17, 14

Solar thermal systems for heating water

In Mechanicals | Asked by aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Dec 15, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!