Insect screen for an exterior rigid foam wall

I live in the San Francisco bay area and am going to use 1-1/2" rigid foam board and a rain screen on the exterior of my house. I have read numerous articles in regards to using insect screen at the tops and bottoms of the rainscreen wall, however no specific details about the type of insect screen is ever mentioned.

There are numerous types of insect screens (Aluminum, Fiberglass Bronze, galvanized, etc.) available. There are also different mesh configurations.

Do any of you have experience or suggestions for a particular type and mesh that works well with a raincreen (or perhaps maybe I am overthinking this issue).

Thanks for any comments.

Randy Mason

Asked by Randy Mason
Posted Aug 30, 2014 1:49 PM ET

All houses here have to be built with rain screens. No one uses insect screen anymore, it is too easily damaged and then is impossible to replace. Use a U shaped perforated metal flashing you can slip over the bottom of your rain screen strapping, or in the case of exterior foam, over the foam and strapping. Keeps both bugs and rodents out.
Something like this:

Posted Aug 30, 2014 2:56 PM ET
Edited Aug 30, 2014 2:59 PM ET.

Roof construction for low-slope roof

In General questions | Asked by Kevin Hoene | Sep 21, 15

How to release stored heat in floor's thermal mass

In Mechanicals | Asked by Randy Bunney | Oct 2, 15

Outdoor reset vs setback on single-stage boiler

In Mechanicals | Asked by Eric Stormfield | Oct 3, 15

Any one have experience with Chilltrix equipment?

In Green products and materials | Asked by Carl Seville, GBA Advisor | Oct 4, 15

Can I put Roxul over sheetrock? On the interior

In Green building techniques | Asked by Andrew Bennett | Oct 3, 15