0 Helpful?

Insect screen for an exterior rigid foam wall

I live in the San Francisco bay area and am going to use 1-1/2" rigid foam board and a rain screen on the exterior of my house. I have read numerous articles in regards to using insect screen at the tops and bottoms of the rainscreen wall, however no specific details about the type of insect screen is ever mentioned.

There are numerous types of insect screens (Aluminum, Fiberglass Bronze, galvanized, etc.) available. There are also different mesh configurations.

Do any of you have experience or suggestions for a particular type and mesh that works well with a raincreen (or perhaps maybe I am overthinking this issue).

Thanks for any comments.

Randy Mason

Asked by Randy Mason
Posted Aug 30, 2014 12:49 PM ET


1 Answer

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

All houses here have to be built with rain screens. No one uses insect screen anymore, it is too easily damaged and then is impossible to replace. Use a U shaped perforated metal flashing you can slip over the bottom of your rain screen strapping, or in the case of exterior foam, over the foam and strapping. Keeps both bugs and rodents out.
Something like this:

Answered by Malcolm Taylor
Posted Aug 30, 2014 1:56 PM ET
Edited Aug 30, 2014 1:59 PM ET.

Other Questions in Energy efficiency and durability

IPhone 3GS Features

In Green building techniques | Asked by Micheal Cadman | Jan 23, 17

Apple Watch Compared To Samsung's Line Of Smart Watches

In Green building techniques | Asked by Charolette Oram | Jan 23, 17

Downpayment Details Price List

In Green building techniques | Asked by Ezequiel Hanton | Jan 23, 17

Texts From The Avengers

In NAHB Class Discussion | Asked by Sylvia Schonell | Jan 23, 17

Ipad 3 Deals A Rocking Apple's Tablet

In General questions | Asked by Mohamed Close | Jan 23, 17
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!