GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insect screen for an exterior rigid foam wall

randygiles | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I live in the San Francisco bay area and am going to use 1-1/2″ rigid foam board and a rain screen on the exterior of my house. I have read numerous articles in regards to using insect screen at the tops and bottoms of the rainscreen wall, however no specific details about the type of insect screen is ever mentioned.

There are numerous types of insect screens (Aluminum, Fiberglass Bronze, galvanized, etc.) available. There are also different mesh configurations.

Do any of you have experience or suggestions for a particular type and mesh that works well with a raincreen (or perhaps maybe I am overthinking this issue).

Thanks for any comments.

Randy Mason

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

All houses here have to be built with rain screens. No one uses insect screen anymore, it is too easily damaged and then is impossible to replace. Use a U shaped perforated metal flashing you can slip over the bottom of your rain screen strapping, or in the case of exterior foam, over the foam and strapping. Keeps both bugs and rodents out.
    Something like this:
    http://www.menzies-metal.com/vent-flashings/perforated-j-channel-rain-screen-high-back

2. Axelkeitz | | #2

I'm going to revive this because I'm curious what everyone is using?

1. Tom_K | | #3

Planning to use Cor-A-Vent for my upcoming build

3. Jeremiah_Sommer | | #4

We purchase 4x8 sheets of 0.032g perforated aluminum which we cut and bend on our aluminum brake to fit the desired insulation and rainscreen assembly.

We have found this to be cost-effective and very simple to install.

4. Expert Member
    BILL WICHERS | | #5

If you want to use window screen, avoid aluminum -- it tends to rot out fairly quickly when exposed to wet debris splashing up from the ground. Fiberglass will last longer, but is less critter resistant, so you have more risk of critters chewing through it. I have not use galvanized screen. My perference is 316 stainless steel screen, which is durable and will last a long time.

If you can use one of the channel products such as the one Malcolm suggested, that's another good option, and probably easier to install than screen.

Bill

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |