Insect screen for an exterior rigid foam wall

I live in the San Francisco bay area and am going to use 1-1/2" rigid foam board and a rain screen on the exterior of my house. I have read numerous articles in regards to using insect screen at the tops and bottoms of the rainscreen wall, however no specific details about the type of insect screen is ever mentioned.

There are numerous types of insect screens (Aluminum, Fiberglass Bronze, galvanized, etc.) available. There are also different mesh configurations.

Do any of you have experience or suggestions for a particular type and mesh that works well with a raincreen (or perhaps maybe I am overthinking this issue).

Thanks for any comments.

Randy Mason

Asked by Randy Mason

1.

All houses here have to be built with rain screens. No one uses insect screen anymore, it is too easily damaged and then is impossible to replace. Use a U shaped perforated metal flashing you can slip over the bottom of your rain screen strapping, or in the case of exterior foam, over the foam and strapping. Keeps both bugs and rodents out.
Something like this:
http://www.menzies-metal.com/vent-flashings/perforated-j-channel-rain-sc...

Edited Sat, 08/30/2014 - 14:59.

How to handle SE/SW orientation? And any experiences with Richlin windows?

In PassivHaus | Asked by Ryan Griffin | Sep 30, 14

Please tell me why I have to put so much insulation / outsulation at the roof/celing?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by leo kloop | Sep 30, 14

Grid-tied without independence … what’s the point?

In General questions | Asked by flitch plate | Sep 29, 14

Cupping shingles on brand new roof?

In General questions | Asked by Tony Johnson | Sep 27, 14

Window & door header insulation options - Zone 5

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Jeff Conners | Sep 29, 14