Insect screen for an exterior rigid foam wall

I live in the San Francisco bay area and am going to use 1-1/2" rigid foam board and a rain screen on the exterior of my house. I have read numerous articles in regards to using insect screen at the tops and bottoms of the rainscreen wall, however no specific details about the type of insect screen is ever mentioned.

There are numerous types of insect screens (Aluminum, Fiberglass Bronze, galvanized, etc.) available. There are also different mesh configurations.

Do any of you have experience or suggestions for a particular type and mesh that works well with a raincreen (or perhaps maybe I am overthinking this issue).

Thanks for any comments.

Randy Mason

Asked by Randy Mason
Posted Aug 30, 2014 1:49 PM ET

1.

All houses here have to be built with rain screens. No one uses insect screen anymore, it is too easily damaged and then is impossible to replace. Use a U shaped perforated metal flashing you can slip over the bottom of your rain screen strapping, or in the case of exterior foam, over the foam and strapping. Keeps both bugs and rodents out.
Something like this:
http://www.menzies-metal.com/vent-flashings/perforated-j-channel-rain-sc...

Posted Aug 30, 2014 2:56 PM ET
Edited Aug 30, 2014 2:59 PM ET.

Why are my windows wet?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Jeffrey Lyon | Dec 11, 13

What is the safest (healthwise) roller blind I can buy?

In Interior design | Asked by Angela Weber | Apr 29, 16

Any vented attic air sealing tricks? And recommended R-values? Blown fiberglass?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Kail Zuschlag | Apr 28, 16

Roof structure, insulation and lighting

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Kyle Rice | Apr 28, 16

Ducted or ductless?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Shawn Tucker | Apr 28, 16