Additional considerations for finishing a walk-out basement to be a pottery studio?

I was asked recently to give some advise to to some friends on how best to insulate/finish the walk out basement of their two story home in Waitsfield, Vermont. The basement will be used as a pottery studio (read high moisture).

The home has radiant baseboard heat in the basement and the main level as well as a wood stove on the main level. The main level/2nd floor will also have an HRV.

The basement walls will be 2.5 inches of polyiso against the foundation with a finished wall on the inside, possibly with blown cellulose.

Moisture management in the basement will mainly be the bathroom fan (exhaust only). I'm waiting to hear more from them about the humidity requirements for the clay in the studio.

My question is this: What additional considerations should they be thinking about in regards to finishing the basement with such a high moisture activity happening there? I recommended that they mitigate the moisture as best they can. Any recommendations for moisture control?

Asked by Cyrus Collins
Edited Fri, 09/05/2014 - 07:14

1.

Cyrus,
To give good advice, we need to know more.

I assume that this is an existing home rather than a home under construction. Is that correct?

If this is an existing home, and the pottery studio has not yet been installed, the most important question is: Is the existing basement dry under its current pattern of use? Or are there any signs of an existing moisture problem?

Assuming that the existing basement is well constructed and dry, I wouldn't worry too much. If the damp aspects of work (fresh clay storage, perhaps, or the area where the potter's wheel is located) are confined to one area of the basement, then an exhaust fan should be located close to this moisture source and the fan should be used when moisture levels are high.

2.

Thanks Martin,

It is an existing home and the basement is dry.

Answered by Cyrus Collins

Woodpeckers, Stucco + Exterior Foam with Rainscreen

In Green building techniques | Asked by Brett Sichello | Sep 20, 14

Options for high R-value above-grade walls (R-80)?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Tom Schmidt | Sep 19, 14

Best time to stop construction for winter..?

In General questions | Asked by Lucyna de Barbaro | Sep 20, 14

The differences between mass and insulation

In Green products and materials | Asked by Nathaniel G | Sep 15, 14

Thinking of going solar

In Green building techniques | Asked by Ron Davis | Sep 19, 14