Additional considerations for finishing a walk-out basement to be a pottery studio?

I was asked recently to give some advise to to some friends on how best to insulate/finish the walk out basement of their two story home in Waitsfield, Vermont. The basement will be used as a pottery studio (read high moisture).

The home has radiant baseboard heat in the basement and the main level as well as a wood stove on the main level. The main level/2nd floor will also have an HRV.

The basement walls will be 2.5 inches of polyiso against the foundation with a finished wall on the inside, possibly with blown cellulose.

Moisture management in the basement will mainly be the bathroom fan (exhaust only). I'm waiting to hear more from them about the humidity requirements for the clay in the studio.

My question is this: What additional considerations should they be thinking about in regards to finishing the basement with such a high moisture activity happening there? I recommended that they mitigate the moisture as best they can. Any recommendations for moisture control?

Asked by Cyrus Collins
Edited Fri, 09/05/2014 - 06:14

1.

Cyrus,
To give good advice, we need to know more.

I assume that this is an existing home rather than a home under construction. Is that correct?

If this is an existing home, and the pottery studio has not yet been installed, the most important question is: Is the existing basement dry under its current pattern of use? Or are there any signs of an existing moisture problem?

Assuming that the existing basement is well constructed and dry, I wouldn't worry too much. If the damp aspects of work (fresh clay storage, perhaps, or the area where the potter's wheel is located) are confined to one area of the basement, then an exhaust fan should be located close to this moisture source and the fan should be used when moisture levels are high.

2.

Thanks Martin,

It is an existing home and the basement is dry.

Answered by Cyrus Collins

B&G's low flow Vario ECM circulator - stupid efficient pumps

In General questions | Asked by flitch plate | Dec 16, 14

Quarter Round on Rammed Earth

In Green building techniques | Asked by Terry Lee | Dec 18, 14

Wet OSB - how much water can it take?

In General questions | Asked by colleen1 runyen | Dec 17, 14

Rigid insulation

In General questions | Asked by Shawn Ward | Dec 16, 14

Solar thermal systems for heating water

In Mechanicals | Asked by aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Dec 15, 14