GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Ventilation above foam on roof application?

primitivelamps | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Just looking for others’ opinions. Zone 5. 200-year-old colonial. Skinning existing old board sheathing with 1/2″ plywood. Ice and water whole thing as air barrier. Adding 3 inches polyiso, 2.75 inches EPS on top.

Was planning to vertically run 2×4 every 16 inches securing through everything with Trufast 9″ screws. Then install 1/2 in. plywood as roof nailing deck.

Is it overkill to ventilate this in this manner? Is it still necessary to tape each layer of foam sheathing if I do have this ventilation in place?

Appreciate others thoughts.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Terry,
    Q. "Is it overkill to ventilate this in this manner?"

A. No, this is an excellent roof design that will last a very long time. The ventilation will reduce the chance of ice dams.

Of course, there is an added expense to the ventilation channels. But if your budget can handle the expense, it's a great way to go.

Q. "Is it still necessary to tape each layer of foam sheathing if I do have this ventilation in place?"

A. Not really, because your Ice & Water Shield is your primary air barrier. Nevertheless, the tape won't hurt, and it will (slightly) improve the thermal performance of the rigid foam.

2. primitivelamps | | #2

Thanks Martin

3. Sheila8201 | | #3

I too am in Z5 & considering cc foam. I've reviewed option of rigid foam over T.O. deck myself. The link below suggests 40-50% of the insulation r-value needs to be on top, to control condensation @ deck. My calculations indicated 3" of board on top would be req'd. to meet the present 49R energy code. If I were to use a hybrid system of 4" cc foam w/ 3.5" HD batt in the existing 7 3/4" cavities.

The GC dosen't prefer insulation @ the exterior, perhaps its a more difficult application. I'm also concerned with increasing the depth of the fascia @ the soffit, mostly aesthetics reasons.

Hope this link is helpful.
    http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/reports/rr-0108-unvented-roof-systems/

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Sheila,
    For information on code requirements for insulated roof assemblies with rigid foam above the roof sheathing and air-permeable insulation below the roof sheathing, see this article: How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |