GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulating Cantilever Space Containing Water Pipes Zone 4A No. VA

[email protected] | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I am wondering what is the best way to insulate a cantilever space containing hot/cold supply pipes and a bathroom exhaust vent. Above the cantilever is a bathroom, below is the entrance to my house and on the inside another bathroom. Currently there is only fiberglass, no blocking, no foam, no sealants. The pipes have been there since 1984 and since I live in a middle unit townhouse they will not be moved.

Should I install rigid foam just below the living area sub floor as well as just above the exterior sheathing/ceiling? Also, should I build a rigid foam box around the pipes to slow outside air from getting in but then leave the box open to the conditioned air from the house?

Here are three pictures.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. wjrobinson | | #1

You have the right idea....The space needs not to be kept warm from the inside, so insulate appropriately.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |