GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Rigid foam over WRB

user-686475 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I am finishing up a full kitchen remodel that pretty much required me to rebuild 25′ of exterior wall in my 1600 s.f. 1950s ranch located in Portland, Oregon (zone 4 marine). It is a 2×4 wall with R-15 fiberglass, existing 1×8 shiplap board sheathing (less some areas with wood damage, yes we do have termites in the NW), window and door rough openings flashed to a Tyvek primary WRB and air barrier. I would like to add 1-1/2″ of rigid foam with taped seams and a 1/2″ rainscreen before replacing my cladding.

Given that the Tyvek is already my primary drainage plane, should I bother to caulk the perimeter and rough opening edges of the foam to the Tyvek?

Dave

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

David,
    You wrote that the Tyvek is an air barrier, implying that you installed it conscientiously. That's good -- but experienced builders have learned that Tyvek isn't a very good air barrier. It's easy for ladders to leave rips in the Tyvek, and there are countless fastener penetrations.

So you still need to do everything you can to limit air leakage. The Tyvek is your WRB, but Tyvek alone -- even taped Tyvek -- shouldn't be depended on as your air barrier.

Q. "Should I bother to caulk the perimeter and rough opening edges of the foam to the Tyvek?"

A. Yes.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |