GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Botched weatherization retrofit

alawishy | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

My weatherization contractor is supposed to follow the BPI (building performance institute) standards for installation. At least, this is what my contract states. The standards that I found on the BPI site state “Where soffit vents are present, and access is viable, appropriate blocking or baffles are required to provide protection from wind-washing where insulation exists.” The contractor installed 2 things questionably. Well, one may fall into a bit of a gray area I guess, but the other seems just plain incorrect. First, the contractor installed ventilation baffles at my eaves where before there were none. However, the rafters are 16″ OC and the contractor used one half of a pink Raft-R-Mate baffle, which only vents about 3/4 the width of the bay due to its less than 12″ effective venting width. It seems that a better fitted product should have been chosen. More importantly, the contractor did not install solid air blocking around the baffles at the wall top plate. Instead, the contractor installed unfaced fiberglass batt plugs around the baffles. These should keep the cellulose that they blew from going into the soffit. However, I understand that this leaves the area around the eaves subject to the ‘wind washing’ effect and thus a diminished R-value. My question is just how bad might this wind washing affect the efficiency of the insulation? I know this is not a forum for legal advice, but is the problem likely bad enough that I should really insist that the ‘wind washing’ issue be rectified? Can this problem even be reasonably rectified now that there is at least a foot of cellulose blown over the thin batts that were in place prior to the weatherization project? One other related question. The crew installed a couple of inches of thermax over my existing kneewall batts. They did do a nice job with the solid air blocking and foam around the bottom of the vent baffle that goes up the sloped ceiling. However, they used unfaced fiberglass batt plugs around the vent baffle at the top of the slope . The slope contains old fiberglass batts. The top attic contains the old fiberglass with a foot of new cellulose blown on top. Is the lack of air blocking at the top of the slope another big ‘wind washing’ issue? I should note that the vent baffles in the slope were retrofitted, so they are not air sealed to the sheathing along the path of the slope. If it is not already obvious, I have a Cape style house.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Richard Beyer | | #1

In my opinion, I suggest for you to come up for air, take a really deep breath, now breathe. You may be very upset that your contractor may or may not have installed the system you were anticipating. I understand this all to well. You must also understand your contract may not be what you think it is, or maybe it is. There's no way for anyone reading this to know.

Now you need to take a step back and understand that most of these companies are not always as smart as you think they are before you hire them. That's why most people hire contractor's based on referral's from friends and family. There are many companies out there who are extremely book smart. In the real world, some, not all, can not swing a hammer in your home without breaking out the neighbors windows in one swipe.

Before you remotely consider taking a swing at litigation understand your diving into a deep dark path which will change your life and possibly empty out your wallet, with little return in the end. The bitterness instilled will not do you any good.

Try to stay calm and work it out with your contractor.

Explain your concerns and show them what you thought they would do versus what you think they did do "CALMLY". Give them the opportunity to fix the problem. DO NOT go off the deep end. You will get nowhere with them fast.

If this does not work, you may find it's cheaper for you to cut your losses (pay them to avoid a property lien) then hire an expert in the trade. This phase of work is not that costly to begin with and can be fixed. Be thankful your not dealing with a bad spray foam insulation job.

Hiring a lawyer to litigate should be your very, very, very last resort.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Michael,
    The type of work you describe is very common, but in at least one respect it appears that it doesn't meet the BPI standard.

It may be hard to convince your contractor that a folded-over batt is not "blocking," but it's certainly worth a conversation to discuss the issue. If the contractor is reputable, and you show him or her the language in the BPI standard, your contractor may correct the problem.

To my way of thinking, "blocking" means a solid rectangle of rigid foam or lumber.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |