GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Ever since I got new windows, doors and a vent put in, it is freezing, there is an awful draft

jennyjinx | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Ever since I got new windows, doors, and a vent put in, it is freezing, there is an awful draft, and even when the fire is lit it is cold. I cannot keep the heat in the house even with the fire and radiators going. There is no heat staying in. I can feel a constant draft blowing all the time.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #1

Tell us about the vent.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Jenny,
    If you don't want your house to feel drafty, you need to make sure that your house has a good air barrier. Another way to explain this is to say that you need to plug your home's air leaks.

Some of these air leaks might be obvious, but many may be hidden. Some could be located at your top floor ceiling, and you may not realize they are there.

To solve these problems, you need to hire a home performance contractor who is familiar with sealing air leaks. This contractor will probably use a blower door to track down the leak locations.

A few more points:
    - Can new replacement windows or doors be installed so poorly that they increase your home's air leakage rate? Yes, but that is rare.

- Can "a new vent" make your house more drafty? It's hard to know, because I don't know what you mean by a "vent." Is that a hot-air register connected to your forced-air system? Or a return-air grille? Or perhaps a bathroom exhaust fan? Or maybe you mean a range hood fan?

3. STEPHEN SHEEHY | | #3

Try closing your new Windows and doors and vents. If still cold, supply us with more info. Where is your house? How big? What kind of Windows/doors? Can you be more specific as to where the drafts are? Did you use a contractor for the work? Have you called the contractor and expressed your concerns?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |