GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

insulation over plaster and lathe

itserich | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I have found this discussion on applying insulation directly to plaster walls.
https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/energy-efficiency-and-durability/17131/insulation-over-lath

My question is, is it always safe to apply rigid expanded polystyrene directly to plaster walls, with furring strips?

The main issue I am aware of is condensation. Could it form between the foam and plaster wall?

I would apply at least 4 inches of rigid foam and 2 inches of mineral wool as a fire barrier. There is loose fill insulation between at least some of the studs.

Is it even safer to build a wall a few inches from the plaster wall, and attach insulation to that? I read suggestions on that for masonry walls, and perhaps it might be a safer option for all types of walls when the construction is unknown.

Thank you.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #1

Put the foam directly against the plaster wall- a gap would be a potential thermal bypass. As long as the foam &/or interior finish wall is air tight to the interior, there is no way for humid interior air to transport moisture to the now colder plaster & lath.

By itself 2" of rock wool isn't quite thick enough to qualify as as a thermal barrier for fire-code purposes, but half-inch wallboard is.

2. itserich | | #2

Thanks Dana.

I plan to put

1) two staggered layers of 2 inch expanded polystyrene with caulked / foamed edges,
    2) 1-2 layers of 2 inch Comfortboard,
    3) wood panel finish.

Attaching directly to the wall will be easier and more effective, as long as there is not risk. Thanks.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |