GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Floor construction for a finished basement

lieam2 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I have a basement with 7 feet of unfinished clearance, floor to joist. The basement floor and walls are poured with no subslab insulation. The current plan for the floor is to put down a layer of poly, followed by 1 inch of XPS and then 1/2 or 3/4 plywood. The plywood will then be painted or otherwise finished. I’ll finish the ceiling using flush-mounted wood or drywall panels between joists. This is all assuming I can get a 2-inch variance on the headroom (i.e., can get away with a 6’10” finished ceiling). Increasing the unfinished headroom is not in the budget.

I live in coastal Connecticut (zone 5, i think). No real water management system on the 1970 house, but the soil is very sandy and drains well. I haven’t had any serious basement moisture problems, and no water incursion problems.

Is this a viable plan? Is there anything i’m missing?

Thanks in advance!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Andy,
    It's not ideal, for a variety of reasons, but it may be the best compromise that can be achieved under the circumstances.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |