GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Has anyone ever used stacked IGUs in a homemade window?

zeman | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I’m building a shop for my small construction company and have some insulated glass units that I saved from previous jobs. Has anyone ever used stacked IGUs in a homemade window?

I was thinking of making one removable like a storm window.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Chad,
    I'm sure someone has done it.

I've built plenty of fixed windows using IGUs. However, all of the windows I've built have been double-glazed (with one IGU). I have never tried to assemble a fixed window with quadruple glazing (made from two IGUs).

The usual problem with site-built multipane windows is condensation between the glazing layers. The easiest way to avoid this problem is to stick with windows that have just one IGU.

Building a removable storm panel to hold an IGU is a lot of work, and I'm not sure it's worth it.

2. zeman | | #2

Martin,

Thanks for the response.

I used a different search term "storm windows with IGU" and found some over comments. Heat may also become a problem. I only have two windows to build so I think I may experiment with this idea, I have the glass.

3. gusfhb | | #3

I have done it.

On the sunny side, you will get condensation in the winter, but it goes away when it warms up.

I would use simple weatherstripping between the units so you can take them out every X years and clean them

In the shade, not many problems, slight blush when very cold, goes away quickly

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |