GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulation under lap siding on the west side of a house

alpine365 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I am changing out the siding on a 1987 house that has a tyvek layer. With window trims I do not have space for a think insulation thus can only use a 1/8-1/4 inch thickness This is at 5600 feet on the west side where there is a lot of afternoon solar gain. Is there a thin insulation (possibly with a reflective coating) that I can put between the Tyvek and the siding that will help block summer heat. It would also be great to help keep in winter heat. House is located in Colorado any comments are appreciated.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Mark,
    I'm sorry, but the laws of physics are against you. Unless you are willing to invest in extremely expensive materials like vacuum-insulated panels -- which, by the way, are experimental and fragile in addition to being expensive -- then you are limited to materials that have a maximum R-value of about R-6.5 or R-7 per inch.

To make much of a difference, you need several inches of insulation.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Mark,
    Fortunately, window casing is removable. As long as you are willing to install exterior jamb extensions and sill extensions, you can add thick foam to your wall. For more information, see How to Install Rigid Foam Sheathing.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |