GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulating my granny flat

Mnorrup | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I just purchased a home that has a back studio. We has 2 days of a heat wave and it was suffocating. I investigated and the attic crawl space has no insulation. And the studio interior wall are all paneling and there is no insulation behind. I spoke with an insulation installer/ handyman and he said he could blow insulation into the walls from outside. My concern is, will the paneling hold up against the insulation? I have spent a lot getting this house together and I’m a but limited now and can’t afford having someone come in and drywall
Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Mary,
    We can't answer your question without a site inspection. If you have any doubts, ask your insulation contractor. Presumably, (a) your contractor has insurance, and (b) your contractor won't install blown-in insulation in a way that pops your paneling off your walls.

Your contractor would be responsible for any damage to your apartment or house.

By the way, do you have an air conditioner or fan?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |