GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Adding exterior rigid insulation to Superior Walls

user-4405197 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Martin – do you know if it is advisable to add extra exterior rigid foam to Superior Walls? I looked on their website and it only mentions adding insulation to the interior stud bays. But this doesn’t resolve the thermal bridging issue through the concrete studs. Would there be any moisture issues if I’m effectively creating a sort of poor man’s ICF? Any suggestions for attaching this? Superior walls high psi concrete is notoriously hard to penetrate evidently. Is it ok to just press them against the walls and have the backfill hold them in place? Thanks to anyone for any suggestions.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Brian,
    1. I see no reason why you couldn't install rigid foam on the exterior side of Superior Walls. There are no moisture concerns -- the concrete doesn't mind moisture in any case.

2. Exterior rigid foam can be held in place by the backfill as you suggest, or it can be secured with foam-compatible adhesive or canned spray foam.

3. You need to come up with a plan for protecting the above-grade portion of the exterior foam. For more information on this issue, see How to Insulate a Basement Wall.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |