GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

REMOTE house construction technique

user-4405197 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

The REMOTE house construction technique outlined here,

http://www.cchrc.org/sites/default/files/docs/REMOTE_Manual.pdf

brought to mind a question:

If I have an unconditioned vented attic with blown-in insulation on the attic floor, how do you deal with gable ends when insulating on the exterior? Am I supposed to continue the exterior foam up onto the gables to maintain a flat plane? This seems redundant to me with that area not needing that insulation. What is recommended in this situation? Does the sheathing on the face of the gable get built out (even with the outside plane of the foam below) so the furring strips can continue straight up? Thanks in advance for any response.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Brian,
    You have two choices:

1. Shim out your vertical furring strips (for example, with scrap lengths of 2x4, or whatever you have available of the appropriate thickness) at the gable to make the siding co-planar.

2. Just continue the rigid foam up to the rakes, because it's simpler than shimming.

2. user-4405197 | | #2

Thanks Martin. That makes sense.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |