GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What is the permability of half inch (0.5″) XPS?

user-2537291 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

This is related to my other question: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/energy-efficiency-and-durability/41561/what-minimum-permbility-dyring-exterior-zone-#comment-91231 but different so I’ll create a new question.

I see from this link that less than 1″ XPS is above 1 perm: http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/information-sheets/info-312-vapor-permeance-some-materials/view.

I”m in Halifax, zone 6. I have a basement/pony wall sheathed with OSB that is not flush with the main part of the house which is older and sheathed with planking. I’d like to add 0.5″ XPS to bring the pony wall to the same plan as the first story. I might be able to use a smart vapor barrier on the inside which would make this question moot but I’m curious regardless.

Is there way to calculate the permeability of a given thickness of XPS or EPS? I vaguely remember this being asked before but can’t find anything about it.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Wesley,
    According to this document, the water vapor permeance (not permeability) of 1/2-inch XPS (in this case, Owens Corning Foamular) is 1.5 perm.

2. user-2537291 | | #2

Thanks. I couldn't find the datasheet for 1/2-inch.

3. Dana1 | | #3

It varies a bit with manufacturer, and some half-inch XPS is intentionally manufactured with thin facers to lower it's vapor permeance. Half-inch XPS without facers would sometimes be a hair north of 2 perms, but not much higher than that. Many thin XPS products used as siding underlayment will have the facers for adjusting vapor permeance downward (which can be a good thing, behind brick cladding.)

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |