GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Another solar pumping question

alice915 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Hey there,
I would like to use solar power to pump around 10.000 L of water/day from a well into a reservoir that I could use for gravity fed irrigation via a drip system. Please give me your thoughts on this, I would like to know if it’s doable. I’m a newbie so please bare with me if I ask something outrageous
The specs on the pump:
At 45 volts DC the peak efficiency point is 18 GPM at 45 feet of head..
Max Current: 8.5 Amps
Max Power: 380 Watts
My question is:
Is it possible to run this pump directly from solar panels with an LCB? Would 2 x 250W panels wired in series do the job?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Lee,
    Here are links to two web pages which will provide you all the information you need to know:

PV-Direct Water Pumping

Solar Water Pumping

You can certainly design a system that will do what you want. Just follow the sizing and equipment selection guidelines provided in the Home Power article.

2. user-2890856 | | #2

How did you come to those numbers for head and GPM ?

Why does one want to pump from a well to a cistern for irrigation during a drought condition , do you own a producing farm ?

Using 2641 gallons of water a day and attempting to replace it into a cistern in 2.45 hours is wasteful . If you must perform this operation at least extend the amount of time in which you wish it to happen to lessen the power required to do it .

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |