GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Vented attic vs. a sealed, non-vented, airtight attic

calwsmith | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I’m building a new home in Miami, Fla.

An insulation contractor advises me to eliminate the planned roof & soffit vents and seal the attic with foam.
What are the Pros and Cons for maintaining attiic ventilation, and eliminating it?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Calvin,
    In a hot, humid climate, there is no advantage to inviting outdoor air into your attic. The hot, humid air belongs outdoors, and you need an air barrier between the hot, humid air and the interior of your house (as well as your attic).

This is especially true if you plan to install any ducts in your attic.

For more information on these issues, see:

Creating a Conditioned Attic

All About Attic Venting

2. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #2

Not only is there no advantage, it's a real DISADVANTAGE to go with vented attics in FL. It brings in far more moisture than it purges, and makes it more likely to lose the roof in a hurricane.

The Florida Solar Energy Center compiled a literature review of vented vs. unvented attics about a decade ago, looking at it from all different angles- it's worth a careful read:

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publications/pdf/FSEC-CR-1496-05.pdf

The bottom line is still the same: There is no good rationale for vented attics in Florida, and many reasons to avoid them.

3. anontemp123 | | #3

Seems like your question was answered, but for others reading this in the future, I recently posted a similar question on a different site: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3313447/cons-of-building-an-upper-level-without-an-attic

4. calwsmith | | #4

Thank you all. I have read the FSEC's report and given consideration to your opinions. A plan revision is in process for a non-vented attic with sprayed insulation to the underside of the roof deck.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |