GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Basement remodel / Subfloor questions

dadarulz | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I have a few questions about my plan to insulate a subfloor in the basement.

Let me provided the pertinent details and my purposed plan.

The brick ranch house located in zone 4a (Virginia) was built in 1965. It has both an above and below grade basement. The structure is concrete block. The front long wall and one short wall are completely below grade. The back wall and half of the other side wall are above grade. The basement is conditioned.

I plain to insulate the rim joist with 2″ thick rigid foam and seal with spray foam. I also plan to add 2″ thick rigid foam to the walls with taped seams.

After reading threads here, I thought adding 1″ rigid foam with taped seams and floating 3/4″ advantech t&g plywood to the floor would be beneficial.

The floor is currently covered with the vinyl tile which is probably asbestos in either the tile or the mastic.

I really don’t want to disturb the tile at all. So, my plan is to float the t &g advantech.
I’ve read that its best to have the rigid foam on the wall and floor touch and to tape that joint.

If i plan to add a 2×4 stud wall to the basement walls, is best to have the stud wall on top of the advantech or directly on the slab?

If its best to have the stud wall on top of the subfloor? What is the best way to attach the the bottom plate of the stud wall to the floor? Do I need to get all the way into the concrete slab for stability? If so tapcon’s? Or is going into the advantech enough?

Thanks so much for your input!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Steve,
    Q. "If I plan to add a 2x4 stud wall to the basement walls, is best to have the stud wall on top of the advantech or directly on the slab?"

A. The wall is not structural. It's best if the bottom plate sits on the Advantech subfloor.

Q. "What is the best way to attach the the bottom plate of the stud wall to the floor? Do I need to get all the way into the concrete slab for stability? If so, TapCons?"

A. If the subfloor is floating -- not secured with TapCons to the slab -- then I would install at least two TapCons per bottom plate, so that the bottom plate is secured to the slab. In between the two TapCons, attach the bottom plate to the OSB subfloor with screws.

2. dadarulz | | #2

Thanks Martin, much appreciated.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |