GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Zip panels as a WRB for SIPs?

user-4405197 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

We are building our home with 8.25″ SIPs made from OSB and EPS foam. I have been considering using a fluid applied WRB like one from Prosoco, Stoguard, Tremco, or the fluid applied Tyvek brand. I’m reading varying reports of their durability and have been turned off by their steep prices. For instance, based on estimated coverage, the Prosoco Cat 5 would run me around $1.44 per sq ft. Surprisingly, sheathing over the Sips with Zip system panels would be around $0.62 per sq ft. I know there will be differences in labor costs, but would using the zip system and tape actually be the better solution here?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Brian,
    I see no technical reason why you couldn't install Zip sheathing on the exterior side of SIPs. If you go this route:

(1) Stagger the seams (so that the Zip sheathing covers the SIP seams).

(2) Talk to the SIPs manufacturer or an engineer about a fastening schedule, to be sure that you have enough nails or screws.

(3) Remember to include a ventilated rainscreen gap between the back of your siding and the Zip sheathing.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |