GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Safety of new baseboard heaters?

threehappypenguins | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I’m really torn on what we should do for baseboard heaters. Dimplex and Likewise makes compact (inexpensive) baseboard heaters… 40″ long for 1500W. Everything else is about 65″(ish) for the same wattage. But I’m concerned about the Likewise and Dimplex because the tops are open with a grate thing. Someone told me that they’re fire hazards because the tops are open. So then I thought about getting the “old style” with the panel at the top (where it’s open more in the middle).

Does anyone know of the safety of these new style heaters? Wouldn’t they get all filled with dust and stuff too? Any experience with them?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Sarah,
    I looked into the Dimplex heaters. According to the Dimplex website, their heaters are UL-listed -- so I doubt if they are unsafe.

The owner's manual includes the usual safety precautions:

"This linear convector is hot when in use. To avoid burns, do not let bare skin touch hot surfaces. Keep combustible materials such as: furniture, pillows, bedding, papers, clothes and curtains away from linear convector.

"To prevent a possible fire, do not block air intakes or exhaust in any manner. Do not use on soft surfaces like a bed where openings may become blocked.

"Do not insert or allow foreign objects to enter any ventilation or exhaust opening as this may cause an electric shock or fire, or damage the linear convector.

"Do not install these linear convectors against combustible, low-density cellulose fiber surfaces or vinyl wallpaper."

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |