GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What are people using for a capillary break between their footer and foundation wall?

dvaut | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I am getting ready to break ground and of course their are a few minor details I am figuring last minute. One is the capillary break for the footer. I am building in a heavy clay soil that will most certainly have water. I am torn between painting on dry-loc extreme which is most likely cheaper but not really designed for the purpose, and corsella dorken’s product delta-footing barrier which is more expensive and has to be ordered. Are there any other low cost alternatives that function well?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Dillon,
    This question has come up before. Here is my standard list of products you might use:

1. Asphalt-based dampproofing.

2. Latex-based low-permeability paint (elastomeric paint) -- for example, UGL DryLock latex masonry paint.

3. Delta Footing Barrier.

4. Cementitious coatings (cement-based waterproofing) -- for example, Thoroseal.

5. A fluid-applied product like Tremco TREMproof 250GC, Henry CM100 Cold Fluid-Applied High Building Waterproofing, ePro ECOLINE-R Liquid Applied Membrane, or BASF MasterSeal HLM 5000 (formerly SonoShield HLM 5000).

6. Some builders have used 6-mil poly, although poly isn't easy to work with in this location. (Then again, asphaltic dampproofing isn't easy to work with either.)

Here is a link to a relevant video: Installing a capillary break on top of concrete footings.

2. cody_fischer | | #2

Martin -

Elsewhere on a GBA thread, people strongly recommended against asphalt-based dampproofing as the capillary break. Do you share this view / have you seen any evidence to support it?

Cody

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |