GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Which wall system is appropriate: ICF or double-stud 2×10 with full height veneer stone?

Driven_5EM | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I have a client who wants a thick wall construction with full height veneer stone that comes “right out the ground”, so there is no typical foundation to siding detail. This is in zone 5 Canada and I am concerned about building a wood framed wall because I can’t really seem to come up with a good detail to vent the cavity I think I need to install behind the stone. Any ideas out there? I am thinking icf is the best way to go but I am open to suggestions.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Marty,
    Under the circumstances, an ICF wall makes sense -- as long as the ICF manufacturer can provide details or recommendations for using stone veneer over ICFs.

2. Driven_5EM | | #2

Thank you for confirming what my gut was telling me. Though a person could detail a wood frame wall doesn't mean they should.

3. jackofalltrades777 | | #3

I concur. ICF would be the best solution for this detail. Veneer stones or even real stones will always wick water and putting wood BELOW ground soil level is a recipe for problems. Add the two and you will have problems. ICF would be best and putting metal lathe on ICF is simple as they make special anchors that go into the plastic attachment strips every 8" oc (Nudura forms). The stones then get mortar and attach directly to the exterior ICF foam, easy cheesy.

How far are the veneer stones going under grade? I would just make sure the transition area where the stones start is grouted properly.

4. Driven_5EM | | #4

The stones are about 2" below grade.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |