GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Would IGU windows using laminated glass be the preferred choice to eliminate UV?

MikeInSeattle | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I am considering the use of an Insulating Glass unit (IGU) using laminated glass. I assume the laminated glass will be on the interior side. I live in Seattle so air conditioning is needed only 3 months/year. I want low U-factor and high light transmittance (70% is ideal). Also want to kill UV as much as possible. Laminated glass will kill 99% of the UV while some LoE coatings can give 95% but reduces the transmittance to 66%.

Here is a possible configuration using Cardinal Glass:
a) Outboad lite is 3mm glass with LoE270 on surface #2 (and perhaps LoE-x89 on surface #1)
Not user if this needs to be increased in thickness to match the thickness of the laminated glass.
b) Air space: 1/2″ filled with Argon
c) Lamainated glass = 2.7 mm glass + 0.03″ PVB + 2.7 mm glass
with inboard surface (#6) coated with LoE i89 preferably.
d) Spacer System: Endur IG

My understanding is that laminated glass can deteriorate which is why the max warranty is only 5 years. Nevertheless, laminated glass with modern PVB and construction methods seem to have solved most of the delam issues.

Pros:
1) Kills UV and has good U-factor. Not sure what the transmittance is. Trying to find out.

Cons:
1) Warranty only 5 years instead of 20 years w/o delaminated glass.
2) extra cost
3) IGU thickness is greater.

So the trade becomes light transmitance vs UV protection.

Any insights or recommendations appreciated.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. gusfhb | | #1

since 270 and i89 give a VT of 69 percent, I cannot see how the laminated can be above that

I think with a COG U value of .20 the 270/i89 is pretty good for the VT

for the UV 366/i89 seems to be the killer combo , 63% VT, 5%UV and .2 COG U value

It is my thinking you are overstressing VT, you will not see the difference in small differences.

Lower Vt glass starts to be a little more mirror like, meaning at dusk you start seeing your reflection sooner.

unless there is a piece of clear glass next to it you will not notice

http://www.cardinalcorp.com/source/pdf/Technical_Glass_Guide_Web.pdf

2. MikeInSeattle | | #2

Thanks
    I know that laminated glass kills 99% of UV all by itself. I'm just trying to get it into the IGU without much loss of VT. Otherwise, the LoE366/i89 is the answer.

I'm happy with the 270/i89 combo but thought having laminated glass instead of a clear inner lite I could kill the UT to 99% w/o much hit on VT.

I have no VT numbers with the laminated glass so I looked at VT reductions for 3 pane glass. It appeared to me that adding one more 1/8" lite (as the laminated glass would require) the VT only drops by .03 ( say from 0.69 to 0.66, but I'm guessing here). If so, have the same VT as LoE366 but now kill 99% UV.

I wish I had a program that would allow me to calculate the VT for the IGU with LoE270 and laminated glass.

3. gusfhb | | #3

plastic is not as clear as glass

http://www.commercialwindows.org/laminates.php

single laminated pane .84

if a clear pane is .9 then a clear then laminated out be about .75

your specified glass would probably be 58% vt [.85x.69]

all this for 4 percent on UV?

Is the Mona Lisa on the other side of the window?

4. MikeInSeattle | | #4

Point taken.
    But just adding films to widows kills UV by 99%. The bad news here, however, is that it can cause the IGU to fail. So I thought laminated windows could solve this problem.

The real issue is that I have no real handle on how much UV reduction is necessary. 95% reduction probably is adequate but 99% is certainly better. So, does this 4% save my carpets, floors, and furniture from fading sooner? It will of course, but is it just a few extra years?

Will see if I can find some data on this.

Thanks again.
    BTW, unless I can get to 99% UV reduction, I will need to return the Mona Lisa to Paris. Oh well.

5. gusfhb | | #5

What I was trying to point out is that you can usually get one thing that is important to you, but then you start to make tradeoffs.

If a couch fades in 5 years in front of a clear glass window, how long before it fades in front of a 95 percent window? 50 years? and what would be the improvement at 99 percent? How long do you keep your couches?

Personally I am a fan of overhangs, which also help water control, which seems a bigger deal in Seattle.

Plus by the time the carpet fades, you wanted a new carpet anyway.................

6. charlie_sullivan | | #6

What about Alpen windows that use a suspended plastic film for the middle pane(s)? That might be a way to get the UV blocking at little to no added cost.

7. MikeInSeattle | | #7

Response to Charlie SULLIVAN (Comment #6)

I’m glad to see an engineering solution exists to reduce UV by 99% or more other than laminated glass. The thermal and optical numbers for the Alpen 525-S series appear to be a good fit for me in Seattle. For a low profile picture window, the Alpenglass 5H has 99.9% reduction on UV and has the following values.
    U-Factor: 0.17; SGHC: 0.48; VT: 0.62; CRF (condensation resistance): 68
    See: http://thinkalpen.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/525-S-Series-Datasheet-20140203-web.pdf

On Comments #4 and #5

In addition to VT, it appears I’m overemphasizing UV protection as well. See:
    http://www.showcasewindows.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Shedding-New-Light-on-UV-and-Fading.pdf

This data shows that even with 100% reduction of UV, fading will still occur due to light in the visible range. Moreover, Low E coatings are important to reduce fading in the visible range.

So, what does this all mean to me?
    UV reduction is certainly important but overall reduction to fading also requires a good low E coating on an IGU. It appears, to properly assess fading, the Tdw-ISO number needs to calculated and evaluated.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |