GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Wall assembly

KrisCurrie | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I posted about wall construction last winter, building in Atlantic Canada. Wondering about WRB’s and the best ($) interior smart vapor to use? 2×6 oc framing with 1/2″ plywood taped for air barrier, 4″ eps, furring stripes then vynil siding. Will I be ok with regular tyvek on the exterior of the plywood? Should I use certianteed, intello or db +? Thanks Kris

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Kris,
    Tyvek will work fine as a WRB. Careful installation matters more than the brand of housewrap you choose.

Your wall assembly has no need for an interior smart vapor retarder. The smart vapor retarder is only being installed to keep your building inspector from harassing you. Buy the cheapest one you can find, because it is unnecessary. (If you can get away without installing it at all, that's the cheapest way to go.)

2. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #2

Kris,
    It might be worth comparing the cost difference between regular and commercial Tyvek. The commercial grade is a lot more robust making it easier to install without tears or punctures.

3. KrisCurrie | | #3

Thanks for the info!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |