GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Difference between Cardinal Glass factory-sealed units vs. third-party sealed units

Redrockcanyon5000 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

After researching several window manufacturers I learned some manufacturers buy sealed glass units directly from Cardinal and others only buy the raw glass sheets from Cardinal and seal them in house or sub out the glazing to a third party manufacturer.

Is there any benefit to go with a manufacturer that only buys their sealed units directly from Cardinal?

I assume window manufacturers save money sealing and filling the units in house but do they have the same quality controls in place like Cardinal Glass seems to have.

Just because it’s Cardinal glass does not ensure the unit was built by Cardinal.I’m sure many consumers think they are buying Cardinal Glass Units.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Steven,
    To compare IGUs (insulated glazing units) from two window manufacturers, I would:

1. Compare the specifications (NFRC ratings for U-factor and SHGC).

2. Compare the warranties.

Many window manufacturers have a lifetime guarantee on IGU seal failure. Even if neither manufacturer offers a lifetime guarantee, a 30-year guarantee beats a 5-year guarantee.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |