GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulating a flat ceiling in conjunction with a hot roof?

tzrider | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Hey there… My 950 sq ft. house has a hot roof insulated with 4.5″ of spray foam. The roof system is 2×8 rafters with 2×6 collar ties. The attic space is basically a crawl space. I’m planning by adding insulation to the flat ceiling using 5.5″ of rock wool. I currently have zero moisture issues in the house and heat with wood, generally keeping the house humidity pretty low. Am I doing anything bad by adding the insulation to the flat ceiling?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Todd,
    Q. "Am I doing anything bad by adding the insulation to the flat ceiling?"

A. No.

That said, I hope you used closed-cell spray foam rather than open-cell spray foam. For information on problems in homes with open-cell spray foam installed on the underside of the roof sheathing, see these two articles:

High Humidity in Unvented Conditioned Attics

Open-Cell Spray Foam and Damp Roof Sheathing

2. tzrider | | #2

Thanks for the quick reply Martin. Closed-cell foam was used. I'll check out the 2 articles for my own edification.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |