GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Can unfaced polyiso be used for radiant heat systems?

JohnnyO46 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I have radiant tubing installed between floor joists. I’ve placed a foil reflective sheet beneath the tubing and though faced fiberglass insulation is recommended to be placed beneath the foil sheet, I want to use un-faced polyiso boards 3″ thick instead. The boards will be exposed to a heated, block wall, basement that is reasonably dry.
I would appreciate your comments.
Regards, JTO

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #1

It's fine to use polyiso under the radiat floor, but note that the shorter 3" path through the wood has half the R-value as the 6" path you would have with R19 fiberglass. Either would be sufficient for zone isolation between the first floor & basement though (even R11 batts are "good enough".)

If the tubing is tight to the subfloor or in aluminum heat spreaders there's almost zero benefit to the foil though.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |