GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Substitute for acoustical sealant?

Andrew_C | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I’m in possession of a box of Tremco TremPro JS-773 sealant. It’s a one-part, non-skinning synthetic butyl sealant. When I got the box of sealant (a while ago), I thought is was acoustical sealant that I could use for attic air-sealing and such. The key feature is that it’s supposed to stay somewhat gooey and not crack like most caulk does eventually. But of course it also has to attach to the bonding surfaces, which would be wood and/or drywall in this case.

The label says steel, aluminum, and fiberglass. Anyone know if this should work in this off-label application? If it were just one small tube of sealant, I’d just get something else, but I’ve got a bunch of the big 850 ml tubes, like to be able to use them if I can.

Climate zone 5, Michigan, if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Andrew_C | | #1

Short answer from Tremco tech: TremPro JS-773 is basically the same as their acoustical sealant, and it can be used as a substitute.

Addendum: I didn't even consider that someone might have asked this question before, but when I searched for my question, I found a previous Q&A thread that came to the same conclusion. The Search function should be used a lot more (he says to himself); as a bonus, you'll probably learn something else and find other useful links while chasing the down the answer.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |