Building a house in Zone 6

Building a house in zone 6. Framing nearly complete. Too cold to roof now with asphalt shingles, but rain protection needed. Roofer asked builder if he should extend the "ice shield" which I understand is vapor impermeable, over the whole roof, or cover with ?

Issue relates to the potential trapping of moisture in the sheathing if two impermeable membranes are used.

Asked by Frank Torti
Posted Feb 21, 2017 7:14 PM ET
Edited Feb 22, 2017 5:04 AM ET

1.

I would use synthetic tar paper with cap nails of some type. It would be more economical for starters.

Answered by scott mangold
Posted Feb 21, 2017 8:25 PM ET

2.

As Scott said: Many synthetic underpayments secured by cap nails are rated for six months without a finished roof. That said, asphalt shingles don't allow any significant drying to the outside anyway, so IWS would do no harm.

Posted Feb 21, 2017 9:50 PM ET

3.

Frank,
Scott and Malcolm have given the correct answer. The usual solution is to install synthetic roofing underlayment. This will cost less than a peel-and-stick product like Ice & Water Shield. Moreover, future repairs (access to the roof sheathing) will be simpler if you use synthetic roofing underlayment.

-- Martin Holladay

Posted Feb 22, 2017 5:12 AM ET