GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Hardie Wrap: Over sheathing or foam board?

user-6724719 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

The question is :Does it matter where the Hardie Wrap is placed? Our builder would prefer to place it over the Avantech.

1. 5/8” sheetrock
2. “smart” vapor retarder (+/-)
3. Roxul R-23 batts
4. Avantech sheathing (taped)
5. 2 1/2” of type X XPS foam (taped). Foamular F250 product is available in 2 1/2 (R=12.5)”.
6. Hardie wrap or equivalent.
7. 3/4″ strapping (+/- Coravent SV5 product on top and bottom of walls and windows)
8. Hardie clapboard siding

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. JC72 | | #1

My understanding is that from a building science perspective it does not matter as long as your window flashing is integrated with your WRB and not behind it (ex house wrap over the foam but windows flashed to OSB behind the wrb/foam).

Personally I like the approach of having the house wrap against the OSB.

Since you plan on taping the Advantech sheathing have you thought about using ZIP-System? It's also made by Huber (Advantech) and has the WRB integrated into the sheathing. I only ask because Advantech isn't cheap and I bet for about the same cost the ZIP-System would save you time and supplies from having to hang/tape the house wrap.

My two cents.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Frank,
    I think you should probably read this article: Where Does the Housewrap Go?

-- Martin Holladay

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |