GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Using non-flanged windows in new construction

user-1018908 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

I am looking for advice/detail info for using non-flanged wiindows in New Wood Construction with Fiber cement lap siding. All the Details on this site are for flanged windows.

Thanks very much, Peter Hendrickson

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Peter,
    The first step is to consult the installation instructions provided by the window manufacturer.

For a discussion of unflanged windows mounted with masonry clips, see this article: ‘Innie’ Windows or ‘Outie’ Windows?

There is a further discussion of using masonry clips to mount unflanged windows in this article: Installing Windows In a Foam-Sheathed Wall.

2. milwaukee | | #2

it may be too late now, but here is what I did for my house with vinyl siding. I had to invent a process that I had never seen before.

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/green-building-techniques/46626/non-flanged-insert-window-replacement-flashing

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |