GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Range hood for whole-house ventilation?

dsmcn | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

Zone 4A. Whole house ventilation requirement is 67 CFM. Windows open 6 months/year during shoulder seasons. Range hood exhausts 250 CFM and is connected to a makeup air duct with damper (air is delivered through MERV filter to a central stairwell/atrium for maximum mixing). Q: could I not add a controller that turns the range hood on 1 hour six times/day?
Note: open floor plan so exhaust would draw from most of house.

If yes, can anyone suggest a controller for the range hood exhaust?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

David,
    I'm sure that you could implement your plan with an inexpensive 24-hour timer (available from any electrical supply house).

I don't think it's a particularly good idea, however, for two reasons:

1. Range hood fans are noisy.

2. You'll be ventilating at a very high rate, followed by a period of time with no ventilation at all. This stop-and-go approach is more likely to lead to occupant complaints than using a quiet Panasonic exhaust fan, sized for your ventilation needs, operating for 24 hours a day.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |