0 Helpful?

How do we hire a green building advisor on an hourly basis?

Does greenbuildingadvisor maintain a directory of recommended consultants?

We're going to begin construction on a well-insulated home in Zone 5 within the next year or two. We have a builder/designer that we trust and whom is generally knowledgeable and enthusiastic about green building techniques. That being said, he doesn't have multiple decades of experience like most of the experts here have, and I like to have a sanity check (i.e. second opinion) on design choices and construction methods. From my perspective, paying for a bit of advice and feedback up front during the design stage should result in a better home. I would be interested in hiring an advisor on an hourly basis to provide opinions on design choices and house plans. Is this a service that's facilitated through this site, and if not how should I proceed in finding an advisor? Thank you all for your time and efforts, I've found this site to be extremely valuable.

Asked by Joe Martin
Posted May 24, 2018 6:07 PM ET

Tags:

1 Answer

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Joe,
I suppose you could hire a certified Passive House consultant, or a HERS rater, depending on your philosophy and needs.

Or you could post your questions on GBA, and get free help.

Answered by Martin Holladay
Posted May 25, 2018 6:06 AM ET

Other Questions in GBA Pro help

Plumbing too close to edge of slab

In Project management | Asked by Hugh Stearns | Jun 18, 18

Do I need an HRV/ERV for a house built in 1947?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Will82 | Jun 14, 18

Building code requirements for stacked window headers, bracing, and stucco over foam

In Building Code Questions | Asked by Zane Bridgers | Jun 17, 18

Brick house insulation

In Green building techniques | Asked by Sebastian Smith | Dec 29, 17

HVAC duct size versus grille size

In Mechanicals | Asked by Richt1022 | Jun 18, 18
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!