GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How much does it cost for IGU or BIPV?

pumpkin2 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

Hi Guys!

Please help me out here! I’m interning at Carrasco & Associates, and I need to find out the following information for a commissioned project (project name may not be disclosed at this point in time). I need help on finding out the costs of a few numbers.

The building will require 5,000 panels of IGU or BIPV, where each panel will be 1.58 square meters. I would like to know if it’s possible to know the quote of IGU and BIPV panels: cost of materials (panel + frame), workmanship + all other overhead and necessary costs involved. IGU panels (if chosen) will be double glazed and not triple glazed.

Please help me, thank you!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Peter,
    It sounds like you are preparing your first construction estimate. Good luck! What is your educational background and experience?
    The longer you are involved in architecture and construction, the better you'll get at preparing construction estimates. Your request for information is probably too vague for anyone at this Web site to help you with; many details of your building, as well as your geographical location, are likely to strongly affect the cost of your insulated glazing units and building-integrated photovoltaic modules — by a factor of two or three, in some cases.

There really are no shortcuts in regard to the work ahead of you. You'll need to talk to material suppliers, contractors, and senior architects to put together a reasonable construction estimate. Good luck.

2. pumpkin2 | | #2

Unfortunately, I have a Business Administration Major (still a Sophomore), and happen to know nothing about architecture....

My Boss has instructed me that I just need estimates, so is it possible to receive some estimates? To be specific, I mean such estimates comprised from market analysis/cost analysis reports on a region? I've been trying to Google out such estimates for the past few days, but have come up with grim results, as they all seem to be available for sale (compiled in market/region/country analysis booklets/reports for say U.S., E.U., Asian markets).

I'd figure you guys would be more familiar with such numbers? Is it possible to give me various estimates on pricing, labor fees, and all other necessary costs? The reason why these numbers can be estimates, is because this is more of a training excersize for me and they actually already have the numbers/costs calculated, but want to see if I can get a rather estimate on those numbers on my own.

Please help? I'd be so happy if you could!

And thanks a lot for your initial reply, I was worried that no-one would reply me!

You may contact me at [email protected], if you wouldn't want these numbers to appear publicly, thank you!

3. pumpkin2 | | #3

Oh yes,

So what I'm actually looking for are the general pricing that would be included in those market analysis reports that I mentioned. Just a general pricing structure for all costs involved, in the U.S. market. Or if you have data on pricing structure for green building structures that match our category as I mentioned in the first question (5,000 panels of IGU or BIPV, where each panel will be 1.58 square meters), that'd be extremely helpful!

Price, labor costs + all other neccessary costs for applying the cladding system would be needed in my final report, so anything you are able to help me with would be extremely appreciated!

Actually my final report includes estimates for:
    IGU (insulating glass units):
    BIPV (Building integrated photovoltaics):
    EFTE (Presssurized cladding insulation systems):
    FGLS (Fiber glass laminated systems):

Help me please, I'm way over my head, haha.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Hmm, for some reason I'm thinking like a parent these days. It must be because I have two teenage sons. What I'm hearing is, "I have a really big homework assignment! It's a lot of work and I'm not sure I know how to do it! Will you do it for me please?"

Again, good luck.

5. pumpkin2 | | #5

Haha... well... the truth is actually because I am not residing in the U.S. at the moment (in Asia actually), so it'd be extremely hard for me to contact suppliers, as I wouldn't know of any, haha.

Thanks for the help anyway though!

6. Scott | | #6

I may help you for a price (or a future job possibility)! I have 30 years of Electrical Mechanical + CAD Design experience and recently am moving into Architect training, LEED building requirements and studies. I just came from the PV manufacturing industry and am moving towards end uses. I have a large back round in High Power electrical systems. Anyway, if you have some ACAD or other drawings (converted to .dwg 2000ish) of the building I can do an initial "quick estimate" and add prilim panels / elec diagrams to your prints (and send them back to you) and If you like what you see then we are off. I am not AIA or LEED certified per say but I am moving that direction. I can certainly help you with BOM'S (bills of materials) components and initial materials costs. Labor is highly variable depending on job variables so that is more "dicey" but we could get estimates from you local contractors for Sub outs (Mounting of BIPV's, Electrical wiring and inverter, controller and Elec Panel(s) installations etc. leave your email or other for me to contact you if you wish. Or I will do same on your response.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |