Has anyone had to retrofit a building with single wythe masonry walls?

I am working on a property in Detroit that has, as a wall system, a single wythe of 6 inch brick masonry with sheetrock installed on 1 5/8ths furring strips. So, as you might imagine, air and water runs through the building. Can we build a rain screen from the inside or clad the outside? Or gently push it in the river. I heard an architect say he had seen other buildings constructed this way so I was wondering if anyone had any sources for ideas on how to approach.

Thanks for any help.

Asked by julie klump

1.

Julie,
1. There is no way to build a rainscreen from the inside, although it might be possible to come up with details for interior insulation and finish materials.
2. Yes, you could "clad the outside" — although this would probably require an entire new shell (including framing, windows, insulation, sheathing, and siding) with costs similar to new construction.