GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Has anyone had to retrofit a building with single wythe masonry walls?

xMVhBWqqdy | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

I am working on a property in Detroit that has, as a wall system, a single wythe of 6 inch brick masonry with sheetrock installed on 1 5/8ths furring strips. So, as you might imagine, air and water runs through the building. Can we build a rain screen from the inside or clad the outside? Or gently push it in the river. I heard an architect say he had seen other buildings constructed this way so I was wondering if anyone had any sources for ideas on how to approach.

Thanks for any help.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Julie,
    1. There is no way to build a rainscreen from the inside, although it might be possible to come up with details for interior insulation and finish materials.
    2. Yes, you could "clad the outside" — although this would probably require an entire new shell (including framing, windows, insulation, sheathing, and siding) with costs similar to new construction.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |