GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Basement on a high water table level

mcelroy | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

Living in Woodstock, NY. House is on a high water table level. Cracks appearing all over basement floor water coming thru in Spring thaw and heavy rains.
Also, wet walls.

Suggestions, other than moving are appreciated.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Patricia,
    Here's some basic information to get you started:
    https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/green-basics/foundation-drains-0

2. Danny Kelly | | #2

We had that same problem on a house we built - unfortunately is was not a very cheap fix - we essentially had to get an underground rainwater harvesting tank - a few thounsand gallons I believe and had to put a heavy duty pump on it to pump the water up to the street - none of our foundation drains cold be run to daylight due to the elevation of the lot and the surrounding lots. To be safe we hooked the pump up to a backup generator that ran on natural gas and also had a battery backup. Turned out to be very expensive - so far we have been lucky and have not had any problems but I would recommend hiring a civil engineer to size the tank, pump and discrage pipe.

3. Daniel Morrison | | #3

Hi Patricia,
    You might want to read this too:
    Water Management

Dan

4. Riversong | | #4

Depending on the topography and hydrology of the site, the least expensive option might be to dig a French drain in a location which will allow the effective dewatering of the ground around and under the basement.

I would start, however, with a hydrological or soil engineer to determine the source of the ground water and the best strategy for intercepting it.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |