GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How do you create an unvented attic, i.e. bring the attic into the conditioned space?

tignarius | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

The 2009 IRC says, in part, that an unvented attic requires R15 worth of Class 1 vapor retarder insulation applied directly to the bottom side of the structural sheathing. It was my intention to use 2.5″ of polyisocyanurate against the sheathing, which in this case is 1×6 planks, and fill the rest of the 2×10 cavities with BIB cellulose. The project is in Climate Zone 4, there is 1/2″ drywall on the ceiling joists and loose fill fiberglass in the ceiling joist spaces. There are 10 recessed lights, a whole house fan we intend to remove and patch, a pull down stair and an air handler with 10″ flex duct. I was considering not air sealing the ceiling as the space will now be unintentionally conditioned. Is not air sealing still OK and does the sheathing type affect the impermeable insulation install?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. kevin_in_denver | | #1

Your'e probably OK to neglect the ceiling plane. Be sure to find and seal all the soffit and ridge vents.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Paul,
    Q. "Does the sheathing type affect the impermeable insulation install?"

A. No. But make sure that each piece of polyiso is installed in an airtight manner, using caulk or canned foam at the perimeter.

3. tignarius | | #3

Thank you.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |