GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Options for remodel plaster walls – insulation, electrical, plumbing, HVAC upgrades

TSBtKTYqTL | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

I have recently purchased an older home (1930s) and plan to renovate. But I cannot seem to find the correct resources on the web to help me make informed decisions. I am hoping this forum might be the correct place.

The house is a two-family, each floor is a separate unit but there is a shared entrance and basement. The home has plaster walls some in good condition some are cracked. I plan to renovate the second floor first. I have a series of questions about repair options and the types of professional with whom I should be speaking.

(1) I know the house is unbearably hot in the summer and freezing in the winter (New Jersey) are there any viable options for blown in insulation as I am sure this house does not currently have a vapor barrier. I have read the following online that guards against blown in insulation for homes without a vapor barrier “In old houses with plaster walls, there is no vapor barrier under the plaster so the wet air hits the insulation and condensates. This wets down the blown-in insulation making it a wet mass at the bottom of the wall cavity creating an inviting place for termites and dry rot. Then the moisture enters the exterior sheathing and wood siding causing permanent exterior paint failure.” I certainly don’t want that to occur but I need more energy efficiency in my home.

Q1A. What types of professionals can help me best assess my current situation? More than a surface inspection that tells me I likely have an issue due to age of home and cracking of walls?

Q1B. What types of professionals can help me best determine remediation options?

(2) I have to address both plumbing, HVAC and electrical upgrades as part of my remodel.
Electrical is older and will not meet energy requirements of my family, appliance, computers, air conditioning, etc. I would also need to move the fuse box from the basement upstairs into the 2nd floor unit.
Plumbing water pressure is low when others are using the water.
HVAC: The current system is newer (5 years) but old radiators are still in place with a stem heat boiler that replaced an oil furnace. The small space is freezing in NJ winters, rooms are all different temperatures and despite numerous visits from plumbers no one can seems to address the problem with the current configuration.
Q2A. Given the need for these extensive repairs and the vapor barrier issue…Is it a better option to gut (remove the plaster) and expose the walls complete the above plumbing, HVAC and electrical upgrades? And replace the plaster with drywall throughout the home? I keep reading about the benefits of plaster in terms of noise reduction and other benefits.
Q2B. What types of professionals can help me best assess my current situation outline the pros and cons of each approach so I may make an informed decision?
I am seeking appropriate references as I completely understand that it would be nearly impossible for anyone to provide solid advice given the amount of information provided in this post. Thank you in advance for your suggestions and consideration.
Best regards,
NJ Homeowner

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-659915 | | #1

Q2A: From long experience - if you don't take down all the interior plaster now, halfway through the remodel you'll really wish you had. You have way too many issues to address to even consider leaving it in place. Drywall is the sensible replacement. If the two floors remain in separate occupancy the ceiling of the first floor should get special attention for soundproofing. There are several ways to do this, especially if the ceilings are high enough that you can afford to lose a few inches.

Q1A, Q1B, Q2B: these seem to be basically the same question. You will definitely need the help of an experienced remodeling contractor. Further than that you will almost certainly gain benefit from engaging an architect or residential designer, especially if you plan to rearrange the layout at all, and you will also probably need a structural engineer to address any of the structural deficiencies that are common in buildings of this age.

Regarding the vapor barrier: if you remove the plaster a number of excellent insulation options are available to you and the inclusion of a vapor barrier may be unnecessary or even harmful for your particular installation. Probably others more knowledgeable than I about your local climate and code in NJ will chime in on this.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Tyleisha Baez,
    A home performance contractor should be able to provide an energy audit using many inspection tool, including a blower door (to test your home's air leakage rate) and an infrared camera (to help inspect your thermal envelope for insulation defects). Once this energy audit has been performed, the auditor or contractor will be able to provide you with a proposed list of retrofit measures.

By the way, you don't have a vapor barrier problem in your home. You probably have an air barrier problem and insufficient insulation. You can read more on this site to learn the difference between a vapor barrier and an air barrier:
    Vapor Retarders and Vapor Barriers

Air Barrier or Vapor Barrier? - Building Science Podcast

Forget Vapor Diffusion — Stop the Air Leaks!

Questions and Answers About Air Barriers

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |