GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What is the best approach to waterproofing stone foundation walls?

user-270695 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

We have a 100-year-old home, and are introducing exterior foundation drains to help mitigate water infiltration in basement. What is the best approach to waterproofing stone foundation walls? Spray-on products?

We will be excavating to expose entire foundation wall, introducing perforated pipe to daylight, creating a drainage plane against wall with aggregate. Given the porosity of the existing stone foundation, we’d like to consider a spray on or paint on waterproofing application. Looking for advice.
THANKS!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. scpnvvZeAy | | #1

I'd also be very interested in what the Pros say. I've seen discussions of using Hydraulic Cement such as Xypex Patch'n Plug http://www.xypex.com/products/product_types.php?pageID=18
    combined with Xpyex concentrate http://www.xypex.com/products/product_types.php?pageID=14

apparently it literally plugs the capillary tubes present in porous rock. However, I've never done anything like this and I honestly wonder if something oil or rubber based would work better or worse.

Thanks anyone who can help us!
    Danny

2. davidmeiland | | #2

I'll be interested too. My instinct would be to try to use some type of sheet material rather than a liquid-applied, but I have little experience with stone foundations (aside from taking them out and retrofitting concrete).

3. user-270695 | | #3

One of my concerns is compromising the integrity of the stone foundation wall during the procedure. Another is short-circuiting the walls ability to manage moisture. I've even considered shot crete on the exterior to sure up stone and waterproof.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Robert,
    There are several ways to address your question. I would be inclined to install several inches of closed-cell spray polyurethane foam on the exterior of your stone walls. (Yes, spray foam can be used on the exterior of foundation walls.) You need to have a contractor who is experienced at such installations.

Below grade, the cured foam needs to be protected from physical abuse during backfill; XPS boards would work, as would dimple mat. Use a coarse granular material like crushed stone for backfill. Above grade, protect the cured foam with stucco.

5. stuccofirst | | #5

Try contacting a local Basement waterproofing company. My guess would be a spray on asphalt or rubber product. Not very green, but hey, it works.

6. user-270695 | | #6

Great approach Martin. I contacted my regular foam guy and he provided this detail:

7. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #7

Sounds good. Glad I could help.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |