GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Flashing Details for Panel Siding

9aSApwW9w5 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on properly flashing window and door penetrations when using a panel type siding. My specific project specifies LP Smartside reverse board and batten siding in 4×8 sheets. The windows and doors are aluminum clad, with a 1×4 picture frame trim detail.
I am mainly concerned about the detail at the head, where it should be flashed. I would like to avoid just cutting out a hole in the panel for the trimmed and flashed unit, then relying mainly on a caulk joint, but maybe properly detailed, this is the simplest option.
Thanks for any help.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Pete,
    It's not clear from your question whether this is new construction or a window replacement job.

Do these windows have flanges?

2. 9aSApwW9w5 | | #2

This is for new construction and the windows are flanged.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Pete,
    Your question is unclear. I don't know why you would depend on a caulk joint. You want metal Z-flashing at the head.

Here are some details from Hardie (see below). You can see more details at
    http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/best-practices/hz/hz5-canada-panel.pdf

4. 9aSApwW9w5 | | #4

Thank you, I had not seen that shim out detail before and seeing it drawn out now makes perfect sense.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |